Plastic models find market with older men ( in Japan )

Tokyo's Kodansha Ltd. have launched a weekly magazine called 'Making Models of Showa Era Railways'. Each issue contains models of trains & general stores for use in a model railway town. Readers will only be able to complete the 600 mm by 450 mm set after purchasing all 50 issues. That's about =A3315 to 320 !

The 1st issue in July sold 175,000 copies !

Would you like to build a layout this way ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

No! The end result wil be worth far less than you paid. Just l;ike the build your own R/C car or build your own model boat we've had over here recently.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No! The end result wil be worth far less than you paid. Just l;ike the build your own R/C car or build your own model boat we've had over here recently.

MBQ

I'm told those ships built from magazines are completely worthless too but it's not about value, it's about the pleasure of having built your own.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I believe this is it,for anyone who is curious

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

Thanks for the link Neil. I think it's a good idea - might introduce new modellers to the scene. And the finished model does look quite nice, ideal for those in Japan where space is, I believe, at a premium.

Reply to
Dave Potter

Three hundred quid seems far too much to pay for what is shown as a complete layout. It appears that the actual trackwork is a slightly distorted oval with one siding, and only one vehicle, an early National rly. elec. coach. I suspect that by using Tomytec buildings and one of their elec. car models. along with some Kato track and a controller one would get an equivalent layout for much less cost. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce