Cutting Rails

Hi All,

Please can someone suggest the best tool / method for cutting track - I've tried so far snips and a razor saw - with best results from the razor saw. Does anyone recommend the use of the grinding disc in the Draper multi-tool set?? It's N gauge track if that makes any difference...

Many Thanks Graham

Reply to
Graham Kendall

On the workbench, a fine blade in a piercing saw is my favourite, but it's not so good for cutting in situ.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Xuron cutters - i hadn't used them until last year, had been trying all sorts of things like x-acto saws, dremmel cutting discs, etc, but the xuron cutters just made life sooo much easier.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

item 2175B, available from various modelling resellers (I got mine in Rochester)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Seconded. I asked the same question on here a couple of years back and I'm still using the same pair of Xuron cutters I bought after several people recommended them (available from all good model shops).

I wouldn't consider any other method now although a slitting disc in a mini-drill does a pretty good job - if you can position the tool for a vertical cut.

If you buy a pair of Xuron cutters, remember to cut the rail from top to bottom, not side to side. Done that way, you will rarely need to de-burr the cut end.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Graham Kendall" wrote

Xuron track cutter - everytime!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I find that they tend to leave a small burr that has to be filed flat, my vote is for a mini-drill with a cutting blade ... but I have mine on a carden shaft to it's like using a pen.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Even so, I still find it easier to use the Xuron, and then clean up the cut, than use a mini-drill for the whole process (which still needs cleaning up) afterwards.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

Agreed, the cleaning up necessary with the Xuron is minimal.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I (now) always use my Dremel with a cutting disk. The _major_ difference is that one applies almost no sideways force against the rail so the result is a near clean cut across the rail. (not counting the slight burring which is easy to clean up) I've even cut rail joiners in half on a long weekend when I've been tracklaying and run short of them. I don't know any other way to do that with normal hand tools and not end up with mangled useless metal. Xuron make rail-cuttering pliers which I understand leave a straight neat cut across one rail end. That would be a cheaper option than the Dremel, but I've never bothered as I bought the Dremel first. I've bought several cheaper 12v and battery powered high speed drills as the mains cord Dremel can be arkward 6" further from the power socket than the length of the cord, but they've all died fairly quickly. (buy quality)

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

"John Turner" wrote in news:13e374o6d88m5e5 @news.supernews.com:

Well ... I do find the opposite to be true. Horses for courses I suppose.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I once bought a pair but I managed to mangle the pliers rather than cut the rail (code 80 ns).

Reply to
Erik Olsen DK

By the time they get to New Zealand hobby shops they're quite expensive, the Dremel doesn't get lost in the toolbox.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Have you got a duff or a blunt pair of Xuron cutters Chris? I've never needed to do more than draw a file across the flanges on the rail's 'flat-bottom' to allow joiners to fit easily.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

No, it's top notch and yes I do agree that they are very, very good. It must be someting to do with technique though, I put a *little* sideways presure on the cutting disk - *after* making the cut so in effect it acts as a grindstone and I get no burr. And of course both sides of the cut are true, no compresion on the back of the cut as you get with cutters.

The other thing of course is because I use a drive shaft I can cut at any angle and I don't have to lug the drill around - which of course makes things easier. Oh and having more than one dremmel I can leave the one with the cutting disk set up so there's none of that faffing about swapping drill bits for cutters for grinders for routers etc.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Hey, I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of the variable speed battery powered Dremels - thanks!

Greg.P. (The old single speed mains Dremel won't die)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote in news:46E1BE64.2A0D7A96 @ihug.co.nz:

I've got a genuine 4 speed affair and two generic variable speed ones ... turned out these are dremels as well but just older discontinued models, re-badged and a fraction of the price.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yes the cutting disc in the Dremel is very good for Nickel Silver 00 track,after cutting it does not need filing,regards Terry. .

Reply to
terry knight

If you use the plain Dremel after the track is laid it cuts at an angle. Use the flexible extension to get it vertically square.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Reply to
Tony