Platforms

I am having trouble here. The Peco platform edges are good, I can make long runs of platform easily. However, the surface is more of an issue. I have tried filling with plaster of paris on top of structural foam which kind of works but is incredibly time consuming. Card as a platform surface is not especially attractive as the platform is well over 10' long and I doubt my ability to make that much cardboard proof against warping in sun and damp. What do other people do for platform surfaces? Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

What about thin cork matting ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Plastic or foam board.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

BTW, a lot of modelling materials cost much less at an artist's supply shop than in a model/toy shop.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Mine are 3/4" pine covered with 1/8" artist's board.

Right height for Code 100 track on cork ballast.

Reply to
MartinS

If you want a bitumen/tarmac finish, cote the top with "wet and dry" paper. You can buy it in roles from a hardware shop.

Reply to
June

Chap I have been helping used 'tarmac' scatter to good effect, not sure what was underneath but suspect it was a Metcalf platform kit as he asked how to draw the curve at one end onto 'cardboard'. Point being the scatter would cover joints, so you could use (say) 30 thou plastic card. The scatter looks better than I had expected.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Be careful not to drag any plastic accessories across the surface.

I find matt black acrylic paint works well, and can be wiped clean.

Reply to
MartinS

Is that where Mr Benn used to shop? He played quite a few roles.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Is that where Mr Benn used to shop? He played quite a few roles.

MBQ

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

NO ! twas a Fancy Dress Shop