Private ads here

This is an unregulated newsgroup, you can post anything you like and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.
Well, *someone's* regulating it - I frequently see replies to spam where the original spam has been deleted before I read.
I also see messages with the title crossed through where the content has been suppressed before I download.
Must be the pixies.
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
"Steve W"
That's because people EDIT their replies and remove the spam before replying. Editing replies, something lots of people should learn to do.
Never seen that. Newsgroups also automatically strip attachments and photos from non binary groups.
Na, they've all been eliminated by the spam traps.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.
I should have been clearer. The spam *message* has been deleted before I read the group, but I can see it in the (unedited) replies.
I suppose the suppressed messages could be photos?
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
There is no formal regulation of this newsgroup (at least if there is, it crept in without me noticing...*). There is a charter, and custom&practise says that participants should stick by the charter. But, ultimately newsgroups are dependent on people's good will and self-control in what they post.
What you're seeing is automated deletion of spam. Some news feeds accept the deletions, others do not, some accept some deletions, etc, so users of different news servers will see different results (some of us see the original spam, others do not). Decisions to delete spam are taken on a variety of indexes which indicate the spam content of a message. The automatic processes (often called a robot) operate over many newsgroup heirarchies, not particularly targetting this one.
Then there are binary attachements, which many servers will just delete, though some do take binaries (and often run to specifically allow the transfer of software/data; sometimes legally, and sometimes ilicit copies).
That's probably the news server catching up with itself at the ISP. Chances are the message will appear later.
- Nigel (* who wrote this newsgroup's charter a long time ago).
Reply to
Nigel Cliffe
"Steve W"
Could be the spam messages are stripped by your ISP or even by your own spam filters, if you them.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.
"Steve W" wrote
Just means they're time expired on your newserver. Mine holds non-binary messages for around a month and then I get the same 'message no longer available' message.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
Mike, to jump straight to the point (as someone who's sold stuff through u.r.m.r before), non-trade ads are fine as long as it's made clear in the thread (i.e. For Sale/Wanted at start of subject line). eBay ads are - based on experience of a few ng's - fine, as long as the subject line starts "For Auction" or similar. Hope this is of use.
David Belcher
Reply to
deb107_york
Mike,
when we wrote the charter for this group private ads were OK and are still are OK. The rise of ebay had hardly, if indeed it was founded. started. So on line auctions were not mentioned but my opinion, for what it is worth, is that they are OK for personal purposes providing they are on topic.
As others have said there is no moderation of this group, only peer group pressure.
Paul
***
Reply to
Paul Stevenson