recent addition to Gem locos

Noticed theyve added an Experiment to their 00 whitemetal range. Good to see theyre continuing to expand - coald it be a claughton next ?

Add a K's coal tank and theres enough for a modest LNWR layout. If willing to do etched locos then with London Road models can have a good set of LNWR.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

I seem to think that there has been an 'Experiment' in their range in the past, but not 100% sure about that.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Possibly unless your thinking of the Prince Of Wales. used to be the hornby B12 chassis was recommended for POW but now theyre advising the new experiment chassis for it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Has anyone actually got an old "GEM" catalogue? I've got catalogues like "W&H Ltd" which show GEM products, but a complete listing of what was produced over the years would be interesting.

I'm sure there was an "Experiment" way back, but it would now need a chassis to stand in for the Tri-ang one.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Wish you wouldnt do this. Thought would have a look at some of the adverts in 1970's MRC's. Didnt find anything on this but did get reminded GEM did a Compound and 999. But did raise a question of did DJH start out by selling built K's locos ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

LNWR Society note that GEM did indeed do an Experiment at one time plus some others....

Thank you John and Greg have learned bit more.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Somebody (Wild Swan?) published a History of UK Kits some years ago - I have a copy but it's in storage ATM.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Any more clues? Tried googling UK loco kits and every variation I could think of. Wild Swan had Ian Rice's book on assembling white metal kits, but as I already have that and it doesn't give lists of Gem locos.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Found it!

is the author's page.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

"simon" wrote

Not sure about that, but they developed their own range of loco kits which were enhanced in quality when they bought 'Model Loco' and incorporated their kits into the DJH range.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That does look good, must get a copy esp for K's kit info. Suppose will have to wait for Vol 2 for stuff on Gem though.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I doubt it - the amount of work to get the K's kits I've assembled to work was out of all proportion to the kit price. One loco I still haven't finished had tender sides that are a quarter of an inch different in length. I wrote to K's and he sent me a new tender, but the tender sides of that one are both different and don't match the two originals. Motors; I got one "good" motor using parts from two new and one second-hand motor! It was for a customer so I don't know how long it lasted.

regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Have done 2 now (ok thought almost finished second one). Discarded wheels, motor and gears of first immediately, as advised, and no problems. Chassis was already built on second one but was running a bit tempremental. Took motor out and its permanently arcing when running and needs bit of a push to get started from most positions. So going to dump that and replace same as other one with Mashima. Wheels werent too bad but had to remove again to remove gear so they may not go back on properly.

Assumed dodgy body dimensions were my fault, but nothing like .25" so not worried.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

DJH produced the "Model Loco" range for M&F. (can't be certain about the very early M&F) When M&F went under the molds reverted to DJH. (at one stage last year I was negotiating to buy the molds from DJH)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

The remaining kit I have has new wheels, gears, motor, chassis, details removed and replaced with individual items, new couplers, new tender ... That basically leaves the boiler armature and some wrong dimensions :-(

Reply to
Greg.Procter

was a pity about the motor as it has an integral gearbox which made it bit more idiot proof. What was the main symptom of K's motors failure. Assume with this on the perm sparking at brushes would give carbon deposits making poor contack so would need nursing throughout its life.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting - it's now been ten years since Vol 1 appeared, which suggests that it wasn't a commercial success :-(

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

He does publish a lot of the info in articles for one of the magazines, perhaps gets more for it there - dont know the economics. might be worth asking the current owners of GEM, had a chat with the lady a couple of years ago at an exhibition - really pleasant and helpful. Theyre at stafford in week or 2, maybe ask there.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The three duds I remember had:

- axle holes drilled crooked.

- armature windings shorting.

- commutator loose and brush caps loose. (s/h) I think I had two good ones which went into commissions.

I guess that doesn't tell you much except that quality control left something to be desired. When the motor was first advertised I was quite impressed, particularly as my interest was in building small HO steam. Generally the Tri-ang/Airfix X04 and Slimline motors were just too big for my prototypes.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Ask them about the European outline models for me :-)

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.Procter