roco ballasted track

Does anyone in the UK use roco ballasted track for their UK models? I like the idea of the track raised so that its not on the baseboard, is there a UK alternative? Thanks.

Reply to
ViP

I have had some success with Fleishman ready ballasted track, the point motors can be unclipped and reset upside down, they can then sit in recesses carved into the baseboard. Or you could use Peco foam underlay. Either can be glued down with PVA Both are a lot more expensive than chinchilla sand and PVA glue.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

ok, but your UK rollingstock had no problems navigating the track? Thanks.

Reply to
ViP

I have used Rocoline track for my still-very-much-under-construction layout and have found it to be excellent.

The flexible track with roadbed is very good and the available points and set track come in much wider radii than I have seen elsewhere. The main issues will be:

1) without weathering, it looks like a moulded trackbed 2) cost

I chose to use it as I hate ballasting at the best of times but my layout is in a low-ceiling loft which makes it a very cramped and uncomfortable task, along with fitting under-baseboard point motors - Roco point motor clip to the underside of the track within the roadbed.

In terms of running performance I have had no problems whatsoever - I run mainly Bachmann, Hornby unmodified locos/units and these are fine. The rail is code 83, so the only time I have had any problem is running an old Hornby 1970s class 101 dmu - the flanges tend to bottom out on the sleepers because of the reduced rail height, but this would be an issue on anything with finer rail.

I have some pictures on my website at:

if you fance a look - and don't remind me that I haven't updated it for ages....I know!

Cheers, Ian

Reply to
Ian Bartlett

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply, my layout is also going to be in the loft so all I want is a basic large circle to give my locos a run to keep them loose.

Reply to
ViP