Display cabinets

I've acquired a fair amount of OO rolling stock now and my layout isn't exactly in good condition at the moment so I'm thinking about getting a display cabinet to put some of the stock in. Anybody have any tips?

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is sunlight fading/damaging the paintwork. In practice is this a problem?

Peter

Talk to Bill at snipped-for-privacy@col-uk.com Not sure what his website address is, but it'll be close to the e-mail in format. I found him via google and bought 2 cabinets from him for the same reasons. Well built, but get him to wax them for you as the backs aren't easily removed and you don't want to get wax on the backings if possible. Not too dear either from what I remember. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Rich Mackin writes

Maybe their windows face north. The display in Just Trains, 2a Chatterton Road, Bromley, is very faded as a result of the sunlight.

Reply to
John Sullivan

My local model shop had an Intercity 90 on display in the window for what must have been years, and when it was finally taken out there was no fading or other damage to the finish (at least none that could be detected).

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

And yes, I know the post timing is an hour off - blame ntl :(

Reply to
Rich Mackin

South-west - boxes on display fade very quickly, yet stock seems fine.

--

***
*** Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

And yes, I know the post timing is an hour off - blame ntl :(

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Take a look at

It describes some cabinets I built myself using ideas picked up on the net. It may give you some ideas.

I can't help you on that one, except to shade them from direct sun.

Reply to
MartinS

They want to change the display once a decade or so ... do they still have that Class 37 in 'BTP' livery fading away centre stage?

Not that they aren't very helpful once you get inside.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Yep. Perhaps they've written off the investment in their display and don't want to spend any more on it.

Reply to
John Sullivan

They made an investment in their display? Wonders never cease. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Reply to
jimedvic

Great stuff! I remember in the 1960s at the Bradford Exchange parcels office, forms were kept in a leaflet rack with "Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - Please Take One." I've often wondered where that ended up.

Reply to
MartinS