smoking ban

You follow Scotland too mate.

Reply to
Bob

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Yeh, but ... staff could always get other jobs if they didn't like smoke! My point exactly made - too much nanny state!

Reply to
Colin Reeves

"John Turner" wrote

I hate to admit to this but when I was a teacher some 25 years ago it fell to me to do health education to the then 3rd year of secondary school.

The kids were sick to death of having the health aspects rammed down their throats by others so I tried a different tack, I told them that I wanted them all to take up smoking and to smoke at least 60 a day.

When the laughter died down one of them asked me why.

Answer: Look at all the tax you pay! Think of all the hospitals it will build! Think of my pension! And the best of it is that you are guaranteed to die young so I get to keep all your cash and you won't get to use any of the facilities you have paid for. I reckon that is a staggeringly good deal!

I met a couple of them in later life, they admitted that they (and others) had kept off the weeds as a result of this lesson. Job done?

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

"Piemanlarger" wrote

Simon.

If it comes to the crunch let me know, I have some wonderful unused ideas for putting councillors in impossible situations to get things moving in our attempts to find our club a new home, which I will be only too happy to share with you should you need them.

Also, given that you say you meet in a Conservitative club, that should doubly strengthen your hand with the local conservative group - its amazing what the threat of bad press can do...

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

"Bob" wrote

One this issue, but not much else! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Elliott Cowton" wrote

LOL - I did up to 60 a day for nigh on 30 years and when I finally quit in

1990 I worked it out that I could easily have bought a half-decent house with what I'd spent on cigarettes.

I bought my first totally 'new' car for cash within twelve months of quitting and never had any problem paying any bills after that, plus of course I can smile at the thought that my overall tax bill fell significantly. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Colin Reeves" wrote

But why should they have to get 'other' jobs? We're supposedly in an age of 'equal opportunities' and that doesn't just apply to the sex or race of the individual.

I personally have no problem with people smoking, I just don't see why smokers feel others should have to share their addiction.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They don't John. It's nothing to do about sharing, it's completely about accommodating an addiction. When you are an addict that is life's most important undertaking. Nothing else matters as much as giving in to that addiction. I've been there and have seen the light. Like you, I am a reformed smoker. I understand the smoker's point of view. Understanding and agreeing with are two completely different things however. But I have already ploughed that field once and that is enough.

Reply to
66class

A quirk of the Toronto non-smoking by-law is that smoking is allowed on outdoor licensed patios, but staff are not allowed to provide ashtrays unless specifically requested by a customer.

Reply to
MartinS