MARS of NY Press Release

It is the position of the MARS club of Rochetser NY to inform everyone asking questions about NYPOWER and LDRS for 2004, the following information.

LDRS is not going to be a NYPOWER launch. NYPOWER is a name that MARS uses for thier annual launch. NYPOWER will not be held in 2004. But will return in 2005 bigger and better with even more new equipment. And yes on the normal time and place every year after.

MARS is happy to see LDRS in Geneseo NY. We are also happy for BRS to have obtained the position of hosting such an event. We are concerned as to the safety of some of the normal size of LDRS rockets being in such close proximity to the village. But we also trust that BRS has a handle on the safety of the launch as they always have in the past. It is not in the interest of MARS to create conflict, as it never has been in the past. So we have decided not to argue the fact LDRS is held over the same weekend we have flown our NYPOWER event on for quite some time, but embrace it instead.

We are also happy that MARS has set a precidence that the field be so well known for all. As some of you know, MARS started flying in Geneseo 12 years ago. With several monthly launches since then every year. Before any of the other clubs flying there even existed as they are today. Our first NYPOWER was in 1993. We did skip one year of NYPOWER about seven years ago but have held ten to date.

As anyone that was at NYPOWER this past year will tell you, when NYPOWER staff was asked what was going on between the clubs, THERE WAS NO BASHING OF BRS AND THAT REFRAIN WILL CONTINUE. Many of our members are in thier club and the reverse is true also. It is in everyones best interest to get along, and thats what we intend to do. You will not see negitive comments from the board of MARS club. MARS board members encourage a positive environment for everyone and both clubs. If there are negitive statements made publically, they are personal, not club opinions, and should be seen that way.

MARS members look forward to attending LDRS 2004 and publically offer up helping BRS if needed on a personal gesture of support, not as a co-host position. We would encourage our own members to offer help and support to BRS and make LDRS a positive experience for all.

Untill LDRS 2004- Please fly safe, and make it to LDRS 2004.

Sincerely,

The Monroe Astronautical Rocket Society.

Reply to
John Tinelli JR

Hey guys

This note is greatly appreciated and shows a bit of class by your board. Thanx for helping everyone plan for next year. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I don't know it it was 911 or what but New Yorkers are decidedly more cooperative these days :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry

There are a lot of great people in this hobby, (I believe the government put it at 99.99%) and many of them are in New Yawk! :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I am willing to test that theory (again) on my "return to NY.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I would hope not... LDRS is a TRA sponsored event. ;)

BS - whose arse (sic) are you trying to kiss John?

Then tell us why John, has MARS caused all the headaches for BRS & the HAG over the July 4th, 2004 date? :( If the MARS officers accepted (that means NOT arguing) with the HAG's proposed future scheduling for rocket use of the Geneseo site, everyone would have known 2 months ago the dates for LDRS 23!

I'm just glad that for all the decisions of MARS (officers) - ahem - not to argue the fact of LDRS (and NYPOWER)... that rocket launches did NOT cease to exist at the Geneseo site - which was becoming a REAL possibility.

So what's your point John? Medal or chest? You still don't seem to GET IT! Austin (the land owner) just want's everyone to get along, and your constant crap about "we were in Geneseo 12 years ago", MARS tm owns NYPOWER tm, ya da dah dah... does nothing to help the relationship betweent the clubs and Austin.

years >ago but have held ten to date.

There's never been any argument that MARS held a launch called NYPOWER back in

1993 , but just in case no one has ever told you the whole (non Viggiano biased) story John... MARS has CO-hosted with TWNY/BRS a launch called NYPOWER from 1997- 2002 - that's, ahem 6 out of 10 or 60% of the NYPOWERs. I could also note that we could have just as easily named the CO-hosted launch back in '97 any other name, and all your MARS-centric issues with NYPOWER would be a moot point. Chances are without NORROC->TWNY->BRS Inc., NYPOWER might not exist as it does today - a point that you seem to ignore.

You're kidding right? Sounds like more arse kissing. The MARS officers basically kiss off BRS with NYPOWER 2003 and you want to help out with LDRS 23? Ha. Thanks John, but no thanks. We're already lining up several Prefectures to help out.

LDRS a >positive experience for all.

Are you going to encourage Viggiano to help out and support LDRS?

DSC

Reply to
RocketWeb

Well... there's always hope, but in reality - after all the problems over next year's 4th - the land owner made the decision to allow BRS to use the site for July 4th 2004. Cooperation level is the same it has been over the past year - nill.

BTW - Your time line is a skew... 911 happened before MARS screwed us out of this year's NYPOWER and the resulting issues, so if anything 911 could only have caused a LACK of cooperation.

DSC

Reply to
RocketWeb

Chuck,

I'm glad you think that this shows a bit of class... but it's pretty much BS. Because MARS officers have been - contrary to John's statement - arguing (to the HAG) about the July 4th date all along, we (BRS) have had to wait and (RE)negotiate with the land owner for the past few months over when and IF we could host LDRS 23. Class? In fact their whining about the 4th & NYPOWER almost cost the use of the site for ALL rocketry. Class? Take the wool off your eyes Chuck!

Basically put - BRS is hosting LDRS next year. Game On.

BTW... how does "this press release" help everyone plan for next year? BRS already released the dates for LDRS. How does Tinnelli/MARS stating that "LDRS is not going to be a NYPOWER launch" and all the other BS help you plan?

DSC

Reply to
RocketWeb

Hey - here's a thought.

Shut yer pie hole.

Seems that some people do NOT have the good sense to figure out when something is over. You don't always need to get the last word in, as last words are never that. You Should have taken MARS' statement, walked away, and continued to plan for LDRS. Stirring the poop-pot at this point does nothing constructive, and actually makes you look pretty bad.

Todd Moore Steve Gerber

Reply to
Todd Moore

I was taking New Yorkers generally. I fuilly unbderstand that rocketeers in particular have to squabble about SOMETHING at all times and have to compete to see who can raise more dirt on the other. You folks are upholding that tradition well.

Was it "insensitive" to Set he LDRS date for the exact date and time as a long running local launch by another host club? Yes of course it was. One might even say an intentional dig. TRA does not care what particular date you picked, so July 8-13 would have been just as good as July 1-5.

Do I respect the club that forms and grows a launch into someting respectible and look down on those that try to come in later and take over and change things? You bet. I had PRECISELY the same experience with Lucerne launches and TRA myself. CA is a non-TRA state. TRA does not matter to compliance at all. If you join it fine, but the main benefot is friendship and magazines, not motor certs, people certs or "services".

The state that provides about 30-40% of TRA membership thanks to Jerry and his fest launches at Lucerne from 1986-1992. That's when there was a "takeover" by Tripoli under Newly "SELF-ELECTED" President Rogers.

By a series of frauds and misdeeds he ousted the former president, elected himself in as presidentr LITERALLY with many so-called proxies, none of which were in writing or verified by phone.

I was the SECRETARY for that meeting. I was IN THE ROOM. **I** took the minutes!!

He also had TRA members try and fail to take over the local club, then when they realized how it was structured they found the only way to take over was to remove me from the association entirely, which they did by alleging I had "never filed for FAA waivers at Lucerne launches" which wa spatently false. Allegations made by the very guy, Rogers, who was responsible at those launches for showing the waivers we DID HAVE to all who wanted to see.

It is a soap opera and the latest MARS/BRS episode is predictible in one simple way. TRA members and leaders are involved on one side. So it WILL be a fight. It WILL be dirty. It WILL involve false accusations. It will result in the babies getting their way any way thay have to, disregarding the consequences to the club, to local rocketry participation, etc.

LDRS could be a goood thing. Why is it so necessary to leave a wake od destruction wherever you go with it? Why not be the new happier, friendlier TRA instead of the old ruthless, vindictive, low and shallow one?

Checked TRA membership growth figures lately? Negative.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Actually, it's make me ask what the heck the issue is. Some thorn from years gone by?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Yeah, really.

Sounds like it - I think there was some similar spillover on RMR a few months back about last year's NY summer launches or some such thing.

It seemed equally confusing then.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Jerry:

Best to let sleeping dogs lie.....or something like that.

I will mention that all the other weekends in July 2004 are taken on that field and that the landowner had indicated that the July 4th week was ours before the LDRS bid was submitted.

So give me a moment to don the nomex shorts and let the dogs of war continue.

Al

Further venting may take place after this point:

Reply to
Al Sterner

Poiint.

But it now clarifies the issue without the argumentation.

So I ask, what does a typicak flyer have to pay to show up green and fly a J motor rocket or whatever?

LDRS? NYPOWER Rocketfest? Balls? DARS?

Curious.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Doug

It completely clears the schedule for LDRS, no end arounds, no alternate launch, no come to this 'other' launch......just a statement to everyone to head for LDRS this July 4th.........whatever goes on behind the scenes I really have no interest in observing. Clubs are not worth millions of dollars, they are just groups of people who want to fly,but some folks enjoy to being in charge and as far as I'm concerned they can knock themselves out........me? Just tell me where to show up, that's all I need to know about it all. Life's too short to be stressed out. :-) I'm chillin'.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Chuck I can understand your sentiments completely. It's much more fun to just go to a launch...... hang out, fly a lot, watch others fly a lot and only work a shift or two (that's the reason I travel to so many away launches:-) Something you have to remember, though. If it wasn't for those people who "enjoy being in charge" most launches (especially the High Power ones) wouldn't happen. There is a lot of planning and work that goes into these events. Sometimes the process isn't as easy as we would like. Someone has to take charge.......others have to want to do the work (not to mention build, pay for, transport and set up the equipment). We should thank the people who do these things. Without them, we would all still be flying Estes and Centuri (dated myself a little, there:-) at the local park...... off of our own equipment.

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Has an invitation to Schumer (D for dumba$$-NY) been issued?

Reply to
a0002604

ROTFLMAO!!

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Yes! If he shows up we're going to put him in the same hotel room with Jerry.