MARS of NY Press Release

It is the position of the MARS club of Rochetser NY to inform everyone asking questions about NYPOWER and LDRS for 2004, the following information.
LDRS is not going to be a NYPOWER launch. NYPOWER is a name that MARS uses for thier annual launch. NYPOWER will not be held in 2004. But will return in 2005 bigger and better with even more new equipment. And yes on the normal time and place every year after.
MARS is happy to see LDRS in Geneseo NY. We are also happy for BRS to have obtained the position of hosting such an event. We are concerned as to the safety of some of the normal size of LDRS rockets being in such close proximity to the village. But we also trust that BRS has a handle on the safety of the launch as they always have in the past. It is not in the interest of MARS to create conflict, as it never has been in the past. So we have decided not to argue the fact LDRS is held over the same weekend we have flown our NYPOWER event on for quite some time, but embrace it instead.
We are also happy that MARS has set a precidence that the field be so well known for all. As some of you know, MARS started flying in Geneseo 12 years ago. With several monthly launches since then every year. Before any of the other clubs flying there even existed as they are today. Our first NYPOWER was in 1993. We did skip one year of NYPOWER about seven years ago but have held ten to date.
As anyone that was at NYPOWER this past year will tell you, when NYPOWER staff was asked what was going on between the clubs, THERE WAS NO BASHING OF BRS AND THAT REFRAIN WILL CONTINUE. Many of our members are in thier club and the reverse is true also. It is in everyones best interest to get along, and thats what we intend to do. You will not see negitive comments from the board of MARS club. MARS board members encourage a positive environment for everyone and both clubs. If there are negitive statements made publically, they are personal, not club opinions, and should be seen that way.
MARS members look forward to attending LDRS 2004 and publically offer up helping BRS if needed on a personal gesture of support, not as a co-host position. We would encourage our own members to offer help and support to BRS and make LDRS a positive experience for all.
Untill LDRS 2004- Please fly safe, and make it to LDRS 2004.
Sincerely,
The Monroe Astronautical Rocket Society.
John Tinelli JR wrote:

Hey guys
This note is greatly appreciated and shows a bit of class by your board. Thanx for helping everyone plan for next year. :-)
Chuck

--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

I don't know it it was 911 or what but New Yorkers are decidedly more cooperative these days :)
Jerry

Jerry
There are a lot of great people in this hobby, (I believe the government put it at 99.99%) and many of them are in New Yawk! :-)
Chuck

--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

I am willing to test that theory (again) on my "return to NY.
Jerry

Well... there's always hope, but in reality - after all the problems over next year's 4th - the land owner made the decision to allow BRS to use the site for July 4th 2004. Cooperation level is the same it has been over the past year - nill.
BTW - Your time line is a skew... 911 happened before MARS screwed us out of this year's NYPOWER and the resulting issues, so if anything 911 could only have caused a LACK of cooperation.
DSC
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comeggsspam (RocketWeb) wrote:

I was taking New Yorkers generally. I fuilly unbderstand that rocketeers in particular have to squabble about SOMETHING at all times and have to compete to see who can raise more dirt on the other. You folks are upholding that tradition well.
Was it "insensitive" to Set he LDRS date for the exact date and time as a long running local launch by another host club? Yes of course it was. One might even say an intentional dig. TRA does not care what particular date you picked, so July 8-13 would have been just as good as July 1-5.
Do I respect the club that forms and grows a launch into someting respectible and look down on those that try to come in later and take over and change things? You bet. I had PRECISELY the same experience with Lucerne launches and TRA myself. CA is a non-TRA state. TRA does not matter to compliance at all. If you join it fine, but the main benefot is friendship and magazines, not motor certs, people certs or "services".
The state that provides about 30-40% of TRA membership thanks to Jerry and his fest launches at Lucerne from 1986-1992. That's when there was a "takeover" by Tripoli under Newly "SELF-ELECTED" President Rogers.
By a series of frauds and misdeeds he ousted the former president, elected himself in as presidentr LITERALLY with many so-called proxies, none of which were in writing or verified by phone.
I was the SECRETARY for that meeting. I was IN THE ROOM. **I** took the minutes!!
He also had TRA members try and fail to take over the local club, then when they realized how it was structured they found the only way to take over was to remove me from the association entirely, which they did by alleging I had "never filed for FAA waivers at Lucerne launches" which wa spatently false. Allegations made by the very guy, Rogers, who was responsible at those launches for showing the waivers we DID HAVE to all who wanted to see.
It is a soap opera and the latest MARS/BRS episode is predictible in one simple way. TRA members and leaders are involved on one side. So it WILL be a fight. It WILL be dirty. It WILL involve false accusations. It will result in the babies getting their way any way thay have to, disregarding the consequences to the club, to local rocketry participation, etc.
LDRS could be a goood thing. Why is it so necessary to leave a wake od destruction wherever you go with it? Why not be the new happier, friendlier TRA instead of the old ruthless, vindictive, low and shallow one?
Checked TRA membership growth figures lately? Negative.
Jerry

Jerry:
Best to let sleeping dogs lie.....or something like that.
I will mention that all the other weekends in July 2004 are taken on that field and that the landowner had indicated that the July 4th week was ours before the LDRS bid was submitted.
So give me a moment to don the nomex shorts and let the dogs of war continue.
Al
Further venting may take place after this point:
al snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Al Sterner) wrote:

Poiint.
But it now clarifies the issue without the argumentation.
So I ask, what does a typicak flyer have to pay to show up green and fly a J motor rocket or whatever?
LDRS? NYPOWER Rocketfest? Balls? DARS?
Curious.
Jerry

Jerry Please take a look at my earlier post for the answer to two of your questions:-).
Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Actionxprs) wrote:

LDRS $20+$12 (+membership TRA) Greenie cost NYPOWER $10 and fly on the sly Rocketfest $5 flat Balls $50 (+membership TRA) DARS $10 (+membership NAR
About right I guess.

Assuming you already have an NAR/TRA membership and L2 certification?
Can't answer for any of those, but for the past several NARAMs, a WEEK of unlimited sport flying has been $25. At NSL-99 it was $15 for 3 days. Ditto for the Evansville sport launch a couple years ago. Local launches tend to be $5-10 per day maximum.
Looks like ONE J (or Alpha C6-7) flight at LDRS-2004 will cost $11.25 plus the $20 insurance surcharge for a total of $31.25. No other launch I'm aware of has the bogus insurance surcharge added to the other fees.
WAH WAH WAH
Phil
On 9 Oct 2003 13:03:31 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Phil Stein

Maybe, but he is right. No other launch I'm aware of has the bogus insurance surcharge added to the other fees.

I know of one other. LDRS last July.
Phil
wrote:

Phil Stein
<< WAH WAH WAH >>
Hey Phil, looks like we finally agree on something! :)
DOH!!!!
Phil
On 09 Oct 2003 20:46:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote:

Phil Stein

Chuck,
I'm glad you think that this shows a bit of class... but it's pretty much BS. Because MARS officers have been - contrary to John's statement - arguing (to the HAG) about the July 4th date all along, we (BRS) have had to wait and (RE)negotiate with the land owner for the past few months over when and IF we could host LDRS 23. Class? In fact their whining about the 4th & NYPOWER almost cost the use of the site for ALL rocketry. Class? Take the wool off your eyes Chuck!
Basically put - BRS is hosting LDRS next year. Game On.
BTW... how does "this press release" help everyone plan for next year? BRS already released the dates for LDRS. How does Tinnelli/MARS stating that "LDRS is not going to be a NYPOWER launch" and all the other BS help you plan?
DSC
RocketWeb wrote:

Doug
It completely clears the schedule for LDRS, no end arounds, no alternate launch, no come to this 'other' launch......just a statement to everyone to head for LDRS this July 4th.........whatever goes on behind the scenes I really have no interest in observing. Clubs are not worth millions of dollars, they are just groups of people who want to fly,but some folks enjoy to being in charge and as far as I'm concerned they can knock themselves out........me? Just tell me where to show up, that's all I need to know about it all. Life's too short to be stressed out. :-) I'm chillin'.
Chuck
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions