Source of plastic kits for 1920's and 1930's UK (or US imports) road transport?

I'm trying to find any decent sources of plastic kits for various items on 1920's and 1930's road transport - buses, coaches, etc. I'm
particularly after plastic kits as I'm hoping to be able to power them using the Faller Roadway system and need to keep the weight down
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks. Phil
Phil Stubbington wrote:

The Faller roadway system vehicles are going to travel much too fast for the 1920s/30s! Road speeds were much slower than today, probably 1/3rd of the Faller speed would be about right. Perhaps a couple of diodes in series between batteries and motor might help.
Regards, Greg.P.
Thanks Greg - I hadn't even considered the speed! I wonder if reducing the speed might make it more practical to use heavier models (less current / less heat / less wear and tear on the motors?)?
Salv

I believe that Lorries etc upto c1948 were limited by law to 25/30 mph in the UK, which explains why it took as long in 1938 to drive Lands End to John o'Groats as it does to driveMalm to Pite (Sweden) today in winter a three day trip at legal speeds , Rail travel was faster then even in the hight of the BLitz with bombed out junctions it was still faster!! Beowulf

I can remember older lorries having a white-on-black "20" plate on the back. Come to think of it, I haven't seen those depicted on EFE or Lledo vehicles.
--
Martin S.

Beowulf wrote:

I have the manual for a pre-war Commer truck - top speed (max rpm /gear reduction/wheel diameter) works out at 35mph!
Phil Stubbington wrote:

Yes, I think they would work better with more weight - although whitemetal bodies and long steep gradients might not be a good combination. :-)
Gregory Procter wrote:

Just a further thought - Faller's last new releases folder included buses for N scale and TT scale. The N scale was a modern coach but the TT scale model looked to me like a 1950s Mercedes Benz bus - the type with a bonnet. Bedford made similar sized buses around the same time - one was on the TV programme "Heartbeat" (there I go off topic again ;-) It strikes me that the chassis dimensions would be better suited to 1920s vehicles than anything else in the range.
Oh, in 1950/60s model railway magazines, one often saw a 1920s style truck on OO scale layouts - open fronted cab and flat deck - does anyone know who made it? Perhaps Lesney?
Regards, Greg.P.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:52:03 +1300, Gregory Procter

That rings a bell , though I never had one. I did have one which had a van body . Very similar in appearance to the vehicle belonging to the Butcher and appropriated by the Home Guard in the Dads Army TV series. ISTR that it was from the Yesteryear series of models and there was a steam lorry as well. There was also a traction engine and a showmans engine and remembering as I write an a typical early American steam loco and an early GWR engine. Strangely neither of the latter came with tenders. The scale varied a bit between models. Certainly as a 5 year old I was not too bothered that lorry was a bit small on my push along Kitmaster equipped 00 layout. But I do remember being puzzled that the locos did not fit my lone star 000 track. They looked as if they should as did the London Tram. I do recall having some vehicles that were made by Dinky who of course were part of the Meccano empire. These were from a range called Dinky Dublo and were scaled to accompany Hornby trains. The prototypes would I be imagine be from the 1950s but may have been based earlier.
G.Harman
snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (Phil Stubbington) wrote:

Coopercraft does a range of pre-war plastic lorry kits.
Little Bus Company has a 1937 Bristol K resin kit.
Fanfare has a resin kit 1935-39 Park Royal Coach, East Kent.
I've seen a couple of other plastic kits, but can't remember the name.
A range of mostly white metal kits is available from ABS Streetscene and RTC Models (available from the MBF shop for members).
--
Martin S.

Thanks Martin - I'll check them out.