The Signalman of Blackwater

Hi Guys, especially those of a historical bent,

The following is the beginning extract from a religious pamphlet about the death of the signalman, killed by a train on Saturday, 9 August 18??, saving someone's life:

"On the borders of Berkshire and Surrey, about half-way between Guildford and Reading, and within a short distance of the well-known Aldershot camp, is the wayside railway station of Blackwater. The village itself is a small one bordered by wide commons, which are profusely covered with rich purple heather, and flanked by the extensive pine forests for which the district is so famous. Few strangers, however, visit the village, apart from those who have business at the Military Staff College in the neighbourhood ; but those who have been there will readily recall the modest railway station on the South-Eastern line, and will probably remember the wooden gates and the level-crossing over the main road leading to Southampton. At and about this railway-station Tom Bartlett, almost from a boy, had been employed. Proving himself industrious, sober, and trust-worthy, he was at length promoted to the position of signalman..."

Does anyone know the area or anything about the incident?

What railway company was it? Anyone know where their archives may be kept?

Peter Bridge Worcester

Reply to
BridgeP

Phil: I know the area, as it is now, having lived here since 1982 8-) The road is the A30, and now crosses the railway via a flyover, from the blackwater roundabout (on the border of Hampshire, Surrey and Berkshire). (link road to nearby J4 of M3) it is adjacent to a large M&S/Tesco - visited continually by 2000 cars (at least, the 2000 car car park is usually always full)). THe station car park reduced in size a few years back as its car park appeared to become part of the adjacent odffices, and these were in turn recently redeveloped, and some still to let. The railway line is the Reading to Guidford (- Redhill and Gartwick)

Deepcut and Aldershot Barracks are nearby, as is, oas mentioned, Sandhurst RMA. I wouldn't decribe the current staion as anything other than 2 concrete platforms with bus shelters and monitors.

Wasn't the story dramatised as 'The SIgnalman' with ?? Elliot

Reply to
Phil

Indeed. See here:

and here for the story:

-- Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

Reply to
Redonda

Unlikely that Dickens based his story on the death of Mr. Bartlett at Blackwater - he died there in an accident in 1897, a few decades after Dickens himself died.

Reply to
John Ruddy

> htm

Spooky, isn't it ;-)

-- Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

Reply to
Redonda

I know the area, as it is now, having lived here since 1982 8-) The

So which railway was it? Surely not the South Eastern. LSWR?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

(snip)

(snip)

Charles Dickens wrote a ghost story called "The Signalman" which I seem to recall was put on as a TV play. From what little I remember of it, I don't think it was set in this area.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses See the reply below from another group:

"The Reading, Guildford & Reigate Railway, which was a puppet of and worked by the South Eastern Railway. The section from Reading to Farnborough, including Blackwater, was opened on 4 July 1849.

Although I don't have any information about the incident referred to, Adrian Gray in his history of the SER refers to one G Bartlett who was killed on the station crossing at Blackwater on 23 November 1897, after which a footbridge was installed. Gray also refers to the installation of a subway at Dorking in 1884-5, and a bridge at Wokingham in 1886 after another fatality."

The pamphlet definitely refers to an earlier accident involving a Tom Bartlett. I have found a reference to a Death Certificate in that name recorded in 1878. There are no contradictions in any of the dates that I have found.

There is a possiblitiy that the two Bartlett's were related. George's father was also a signalman. They are distant relatives of my wife.

Is there any possibility that the Dicken's story was based on the first accident? Tom apparently lost his life saving someone on the track. That would make for a much more interesting theme?

Peter Bridge

Reply to
BridgeP