Turbomotive 6202

Can anyone tell me what colour scheme this loco ran in. Was it perhaps maroon boiler and black smoke box, or just plain black, all over? Thanks Paul Lane.

Reply to
Paul Lane

Paul Lane

All the photographs of this engine that I have seen show it in standard lined LMS crimson lake. Most show it as highly polished as befits a high profile engine, but oddly enough the photograph of 6202 on page 64 of British Locomotives of the 20th Century, Vol 2 by OS Nock, shows it to be quite heavily weathered.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" <

These photos, as 46202, show it really "weathered".

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Many thanks for your info on this loco, I do appreciate it. Regards Paul.

Reply to
Paul Lane

Roger T

But that was after it had done a Time Lord impression and regenerated into a almost totally different engine!

I enjoyed the caption "Also scrapped was 45637 Windward Islands". It's hard to see how it could have been repaired! However, notice how all six drivers are still inline and touching the track. I'm amazed that the frames weren't totally bent out of shape.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Roger T." wrote

46202 "Princess Anne" was a conventional rebuild of 6202 and the two were totally different in appearance.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes, I know that.

I noticed that.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Obviously.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

You're not the only one. Although had the boiler separated from the frames I imagine it would have been a different story.

Did any of the poor bloody enginemen survive?

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Roger T." wrote in

But your posting implied differently.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Mark Newton

The driver of 45637 "Windward Islands" was killed as was the crew of 46242 "City of Glasgow". The crew of 46202 "Princess Anne" survived, as did the fireman of 45637, who was catapulted from the cab of his engine as the collision occurred. He was thrown upwards and backwards, above the carnage and fell back to come to rest lying on one of the upturned splashers of

46202.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Looking at the state of the engines I'm amazed that anyone survived.

Thanks for the answer, Enzo.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Not really, it was the same engine afterall, and even without the rebuild would probably have had a coat of green by then, and Roger was just keen to remind us of the extreme weathering brought about by fog. Be pleased we don't have it anymore. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove