ATTN: Ernie L.

My friend has a plasma cutter problem that he does not understand. It is a 180 amp 'transfer type' machine than he cannot make a dent in a 1/4" thick copper plate. He has plenty of air. He said the biggest tip he has is a 80 amp tip. Otherwise, the machine works perfectly. Any suggestions or ideas that I could pass on to him? I know he will be most grateful if you can assist as he was told that the machine was well within its capacity to do this.. . .in advance, thanks. . .chas

Reply to
Chas

Copper conducts so fast is the issue. Might try having a hole already and the return clamp close to and in line if possible with the cut.

Mart> My friend has a plasma cutter problem that he does not understand.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I would repeat what Martin said. The more conductive a metal is the harder it is to plasma cut.

Just make sure he is floating the tip off the metal. The instant a plasma tip touches the metal, the machine will drop the amps down to about 25 amps so you don't detonate the tip.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler