ATV Plow Plans

Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV?

Thanks

Reply to
SteveC

huh. never thought to ask here about it. i've been wanting to build a snow pusher (similar to one of these

for a kubota compact tractor.

Reply to
William Wixon

Are there any in stock at the local dealers? Take your tape measure, scratch paper and measure it up. I've done that with quite a few projects. I'm used to the funny looks I get (I get funny looks anyway) :-)

Reply to
bBob

Steve, Depending on how you value your time, you cannot build one for what they can be purchased for.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

really. So you've built one? If I could afford one, wouldn't you think I'd have one bought already?? My time is free, so that's not an issue. Materials I can get for free or really cheap. And it's the satifaction of building yourself. Have you ever built something?

Reply to
SteveC

If you have to buy your materials at reasonable prices (new steel at a steel supply place), have trouble with things like getting the plow blade bent in a real brake, and spend lots of extra time cutting stock with a sawsall rather than having it sheared to size, I'd say your real cost can be higher than buying at a sale or closeout.

If you need a special unit, special features, have free material on hand, value your time at a low value, or want to try some new things, go ahead and build it.

As for the ATV plow, I built a 36" blade for my old garden tractor. Used a section of steel from a discarded 80 gallon water heater. Lower edge was a peice of angle iron with three rows of hard surfacing bead for a wear edge. Made 4 pieces of 1/4" stock in an arc to give the blade some rigidity. Tractor was small enough that I did not need to make the blade pivot and spring load it like the bigger units. Depending on your use and ATV weight, you may need to add this feature. Tractor had a convient front mount plus an existing mower deck lift arm so all that was trivial. An ATV will need to have all this added. Would I build another for my newer tractor? See next paragraph:

Go see your ATV dealer with tape measure in hand. Make notes, take pictures. And while you are there, ask if they have any used or damaged plow units. $100 for one with a few dings but includes the mount, undercarraige, and lift mechanism would be a great deal.

SteveC wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

I work in a welding/machine shop, so equipment is at my disposal. And we always have loads of excess metal lying around. We have a metal roller, so I can get a blade made in a few minutes.

Thanks, I think I will try and build it myself!! :-)

Reply to
SteveC

Reply to
RoyJ

Snippy? Not really, just reacting to your first response, like I didn't know anything about metal work.

Anyway, no good arguing about it. Life is too short!!

Later man.

Reply to
SteveC

Why do you want to act like an ass???You came here for peoples advice..then jump them when they give it to you.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Reply to
RoyJ

LOL, your gonna make me cry!!!! Ohh noooo... :-)

Reply to
SteveC

Because people are giving me attitude. Nobody has even answered my question at all. If I wanted advice on whether I should build one myself or buy one commercially, then I would have asked that question.

Buy my question was, Anyone got any plans to make a Snow Plow for an ATV? It's not a difficult question to answer. If you have plans, say yes, I have plans and share them, if not, don't respond or respond with , no, but you find them here.

See my point?

Reply to
SteveC

Stick around Steve. Attitude abounds on the USENET

Anyway, I don't have any plans. What I can offer is this. We bought a Honda 3-wheeler and it came with a plow that was described as . I can takes some pics for you and post them to my website and give you the URLS if you wish. I will try and include a tape measure for reference to inches and feet.

Hope this helps

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

That would be awesome, thank you for your effort.

Reply to
SteveC

You are quite welcome. I am not going to be able to do it until Friday because we plan to leave for a few days vacation @ 5 AM tomorrow and it is already dark now tonight. I WILL do it -- please be patient :)

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Steve, Yes, I build things in my shop all the time. However I do value my time and I try to build things that are unique, fun to build, something that I have a specific need for, or for a paying job. I look at common items and estimate what they can be purchased for, vs. the time and material to build. Then I make a "make or buy" decision. We HSM'ers all do that to one extent or another. It just depends where you set the bar. If you have the tools, materials, time, and desire, go for it.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Real men don't need no steenkin plans. If you have the ATV, use a measuring tape on it.

For the blade, get a length of 1/4" wall x 30" diameter pipe, cut a section out of it lengthwise.

For the plow frame, get some square tubing and look at a photo of an ATV plow frame, right here:

In the photo above, the semi-circular part is a 4" slice of 30" diameter x 1/4" wall pipe cut in half and then the two halves welded together.

This should be about all the information you need to get the project done in a home workshop having just a cutting torch, drill press, and a buzz box stick welder. Just add some imagination.

Reply to
Speechless

Sounds mighty heavy

Don't forget a chop saw or band saw.