AWS D10.4-86R

I was just reading through the D 10.4 (recommended practices for austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steel piping and tubing)

In paragraph 8.2 it refers to the proper technique for the use of SMAW electrodes as QUOTE the covered electrode is directed towards the the progress of welding (forehand method)(pushing?)"and state it is the same as used for carbon steel welding.UNQUOTE

Now I always thought the forehand technique was (pushing) and a few references I have confirn this; starting to think it may be a typo or am I totally off the mark??

John Noon

Reply to
John Noon

Forehand is only used for vertical-up welding. It almost guarantees a slag inclusion in any other position.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Had a chance to reread this paragraph after a little sleep. I think they are saying that the electrode is too be dragged but then refer to the forehand technique which could cause a little confusion.

The worse part of this whole thing is a local college was teaching students to push any electrode with a flux, SMAW and FCAW in all positions. The person responsible was let go but there are still dozens of people who use the pushing technique and refuse to change as they know they are right and consider the rest of the world clueless.

To top it off they were also taught to use 7018 for vertical down welding on structural connections, as it is considered impossible to weld vertical up with 7018.

well enough ranting time too get back to reading

John Noon

Reply to
John Noon

I also ran into this confusion once. For some reason the hand being ahead of the weld creates the idea of forehand. In a large manufacturing plant making logging equipment the welding engineer decided to "show" the welders how he wanted the welds done and actually demonstrated vertical down with '18. I was told by a welder that they all quietly listened to the instruction and then when he was gone continued welding vertical up. Randy

The worse part of this whole thing is a local college was teaching students to push any electrode with a flux, SMAW and FCAW in all positions. The person responsible was let go but there are still dozens of people who use the pushing technique and refuse to change as they know they are right and consider the rest of the world clueless.

To top it off they were also taught to use 7018 for vertical down welding on structural connections, as it is considered impossible to weld vertical up with 7018.

well enough ranting time too get back to reading

John Noon

Reply to
R. Zimmerman