Axle Material

I would say, most regular wheels have 5/8" hole in their hubs, and so I would suggest buying regular 5/8" 3' rod from Home depot. That is what I have on my generator. Which is pretty heavy.

Not very cheap at about $5, but works well.

Ignoramus26172

I just rebuilt a welding tank cart for the b-in-l, we used 5/8" shafting from TSC along with some 12" pneumatic bearing-in-hub wheels from the same source. Cost was about $25-26 for wheels, shafting and the shaft collars we used for retainers. I welded the shafting to the cart, cut it to length and put the shaft collars and wheels on, took a morning's work. So I guess the question is, what do you consider cheap? My time is worth more to me than scrounging around for days looking for just the right combination of junk and scrap to do a job.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Well, Stan, that is you.

For me, I would prefer to scrounge around for days for the materials in which to build many axles/wheels. That way, I can have more rather than just blowing in, plopping down my wallet and saying: take what you want as my time is valuable.

Sort of reminds me of the old saw that says that if you have to ask how much fuel it burns, you can't afford it. In reality, if you are the type who doesn't question expenses and just throws money at everything, you will never be able to afford the item that burns the fuel.

k.o.

Reply to
knowone