Brought home a $9.99 Hobart CyberTig II welder

My cybertig can do just that. I press a button to start sequence, then it starts, preflows, whatever, then starts welding, and then I can press a button for end sequence. It has also a terminal board where

24V signals are sent for every conceivable condition. I would plug a linear "mover" to move the torch based on those 24v signals.
Reply to
Ignoramus10467

Yes but the big difference is that the modern inverters use the same button for both jobs. That way you can have one small button on the tig torch which allows you to start the weld and with another tap of the same button finish the weld. Not terribly hard to get around in any of several ways but would require a little work.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Yes. They run from any welding power supply, Constant Current or Constant Voltage.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

What?

Why doesn't it work?

I have run my Readywelder from everything. No problems.

You just have to have the machine set for stick welding.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The problem here is that the Cybertig tends to take a second or two getting up to full speed. At least the fully programmable models like his and mine do. Those seconds cause the wire to stub before taking off. I admit that I made my attempts on aluminum which is a little more critical but I could not get it set to take of without having a mess.

There's the rub. These old programmable models have all the bells and whistles active whether in stick of tig mode. Thus the current goes through the hot start, then the initial current setting, then the slope, then the final current no matter what. I played with the hot start and initial current setting (I nearly always have the slope on the shortest time anyway) but still couldn't get it to start properly. If I could put up with the stubbing of the wire till it stabilized it would work but that's not what I'd call a real solution.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Oh, I see. I have two buttons on the remote, (actually three), start, stop, emergency stop. Not on the torch though...

Ignoramus10467

Very nice. I am not sure at this point if I really need MIG for anything, but I will keep that in mind. I am reading the discussion between you and Wayne, with interest.

Ignoramus10467

As I recall..my CT-300 drawer has all the same controls, but as pots, but would stick weld normally without having to run a program whatsoever.

In fact..you had to Start the program via pedal or external switch to run a program. And in regular mode..there was NO delay in arc start, either with scratch or HF start.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Mine has a TIG mode and a stick mode. I think that in a stick mode, the programs do not apply, since the notion of preflooding or postflow does not apply to stick welding.

Ignoramus10467

That is correct. Based on the little bit of fiddling with mine, HF works, and IRRC...so does pulse..but thats all

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I see, that is the problem. Those machines were never intended to be used at stick welders. Production TIG on tubing is what they were designed for

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

That's very nice to know. Looks like this is a mercedes of DC tig welding.

I was reading Richard Fitch's welding handbook yesterday... He said that top end machines are like this programmale one. I am aware that his handbook is quite dated though.

Ignoramus18928

You may not of noticed it unless you turned the initial current down to zero. On mine if I have the initial current down and hot start down low then the initial touch of the rod barely makes a spark (can be handy if the rod is prone to sticking) which soon ramps up to the full current.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

The newer Cybertig II's may well bypass this stuff. Remember mines a Cybertig I and was made around 1970.

At the time they where made they where definitely the cadillac. Now days there are modern inverters with new features and improvements on the features these have.

Yep.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Here's some links to pics of the front of my Cybertig.

Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

yours looks quite different from mine. Is that right that yours can also do AC? IS that squarewave AC or sinewave?

Ignoramus18928

Yes mine is one of the rare models that's single phase and has sinewave AC capability.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Here is the link to some pics of my Cybertic 2 for comparison.

?.dir=/3ae4&.dnm=8819.jpghttp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gunnerasch4570/detail?.dir=/3ae4&.dnm=2dbe.jpghttp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gunnerasch4570/detail?.dir=/3ae4&.dnm=8007.jpg This includes the plasma torch and whatnot

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yes. I'd googled those and another set you'd posted later up earlier. Very similar to mine but with differences as well.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook