Canadian Liability insurance for rig welders

Hi there,

I am a 'rig welder' of about 24 years (Have welding truck....will travel LOL). I was just offered a contract to do a weeks worth of work pipelining and facility work near the Alberta border. The company that I was subcontracting to said I needed 2 million dollars third party liability and

1 million dollars inclusive liability. I generally carry liability insurance....but the insurance company wanted something like 5 thousand dollar premium.... I charge 60 dollars and hour and they give me full supply (rod, grinding discs oxy-acetaline etc)....so in 12 hrs I am making over 700 bucks plus GST a day BUT!!! I only have the contract for a week and I have to dish out 5 grand for an insurance premium??? Dosen't make economical business sense... if they had a MONTH of work, it would be worth my time...but they don't. They won't allow me to go under there insurance policy either. I refused the job this morning. Insurance companies are getting out of letting a guy buy insurance for only a week or so like they used to....They want you to pay for the whole year and that is that..... the broker says the rates are going up because they aren't doing so well on the stock exchange and also lawyers are getting better and better at squeezing money out of insurance companys....They also said 9-11 didn't help things either.....

Seems as soon as you mention 'Wellhead and welding" in the same sentence the premium goes through the roof!

Are there any "rig welders" in Canada that carry 2 million dollars liability for pipeline and oil and gas facility welding?...If so, where did you buy your insurance and through what broker? I'm sure there is a better price out there than that...... Thx in advance for any replies.... Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

In the famous words of Clint Eastwood: worms gotta eat too.

Reply to
Don't Bother

I can't comment on Canada, but in the U.S. liability insurance prices and coverage vary a lot. It helps to talk to a lot of companies. Independant brokers can price several companies for you. I would call every insurance company in the phone book, and surrounding area phone books as well. Be sure they don't exclude the work you do. The last time I got liability quotes I had to ask what type of work was excluded from the policy they quoted me because they would not mention it unless I asked! Many companies won't insure high risk welded products such as road going vehicles, high pressure piping, anything related to gas or oil, ect. We eventually found a company that doesn't care what we weld on, but we have to pay : ).

2 million is very high to put on a rig welder, I'm suprised they get any hands to supply that much insurance. They are just trying to throw a (big) chunk of their liability into your lap.

good luck, JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC