Cylinder cart

I ended up getting this cart: Valley Craft® Deluxe Gas Cylinder Double Truck, 50"H x 22"W x 14-1/2"L 1 EA

Shown here

and here

My model is for double cylinders, and has a hand brake (which I have not yet figured out how to use). I bought it used. I hope that this one could survive hoisting with cylinders on it, tied with the strap that is attached to it.

Reply to
Ignoramus22888

I think you'd be wise to add a second (temporary) strap nearer the bottom if you hoist it, but it ought to protect the tanks better than a cap lift!

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

or here

Bought here

Ignoramus22888

Wit all o thee welders u got, doncha think u cud weld up ur owne?

Reply to
capt ahab

Making a cart like that would cost me at least what it costs new ($1,200). All the materials, fillers, wheels, brakes, benders etc. The time to do it would be dozens of hours. Having paid $71 for it is a bargain.

Reply to
Ignoramus20688

I was going to build one, then went into town and hit HF to get some more nitryl gloves and found a decent hand truck for $10 on sale. I welded a couple of bolts to it to hold the cyl chains, and its done.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

First off...Holy crap are they really that expensive. Some serious gouging is going on...but then again all safety equipment is way overpriced. (Ever bought a fire engine?)

Secondly maybe I am over cautious but one strap near the middle of the tank is not enough on a tall tank. If the bottom were to start slipping or sliding off the floor plate one strap in the middle or higher would not stop it. Add hoisting to the picture and watch out. As another poster mentione please add a strap at the base of the cylinders...say 5" up and we would feel a lot better.

Kerry

At $71 you stole it! But $1200 is way out of line. then again maybe I am in the wrong business.

Reply to
Kerry

I think that basically no one sells anything similar, so they get away with it.

This cart has special angles welded to it that allow very tight holding if cylinders.

Ignoramus30837

I built one that holds them tight through use of De-Sta-Co clamps to draw up the chain. The only problem is I built it heavier than it needed to be. I spent about twice Iggy's $71 just for the materials. Clamps and wheels were on sale. Pics were in the dropbox.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Mine weighs 62 lbs, according to the ad, if I remember right.

I think that if, for any project, there is a good, used, name brand thing that does the job, it is much cheaper to buy used than to build. It's the custom stuff that is different.

I bought an anvil a couple of weeks ago. The anvil, wooden stand and cast iron stand altogether, weigh about 550 lbs (they are assembled with the cast iron base on the bottom, then wooden base, then anvil goes on top). So I made a custom cart to cradle the cast iron base and welded casters to it. That's easy and simple. Making a gas cylinder cart is hard.

Reply to
Ignoramus30837

I would, as well. I am glad that you still enjoy welding, after doing it many years on the job.

Reply to
Ignoramus30837

I have another cylinder cart for sale, but very different, doubtfully worth shipping.

Reply to
Ignoramus30837

I'll give you $75 for it right now, and I'll pay for shipping. You know the address.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

The first time this good cart saves you from dumping the cylinders or just does its job, you'll know the value of good equipment. I'm thinking of building one, and just the materials are going to be a bit. So, I'll shop for used.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Mine was about 100 lbs. 35# of that was the cast iron and solid rubber wheels I got from the Surplus Center. They were cheap but heavy. Lighter tires and less frame would have been entirely adequate. I dug up the links.

http:\\

\dropbox\OACart03.jpghttp:\\
\dropbox\OACart04.jpghttp:\\
\dropbox\OACart05.jpg Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete, you did a very fine job making that cart. Looks great.

Reply to
Ignoramus30837

Thanks, Ig.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

| | I think you'd be wise to add a second (temporary) strap nearer the | bottom if you hoist it, but it ought to protect the tanks better than a | cap lift!

Have you ever inspected one of these carts?

That's a pretty irresponsible statement to make about a cart you haven't studied. Did you notice it is made from "light weight" aluminum tubing. There is a very good possibility the handle (or any other attach point) could not be trusted to hoist 400 pounds, safely. Especially if you are hoisting with the caps removed.

Reply to
Watson

It is light weight compared to steel, but in fact it is relatively heavy. Some of the flats in it are 3/8" thick.

Reply to
Ignoramus30837