Cylinder cart

"Ignoramus30837" wrote

Today I spent the day cleaning up an unused basketball court on my property where I intend for my "shop" to be until I can get the cargo container, and two future ones configured and cement slabs poured. Got a very big 70% sunshade, and sheeting for windbreaks. Ran the power up there, and am all set now.

Right now, I need to make a wrought iron gate, and about half a dozen honeydew projects. Will get to do some flame cutting Southwest Indian designs, and granite fountain stuff. I just made two contacts, one who handles granite, and the other who handles scrap. I have already lined up some of both, and the granite guy will cut and bevel at no charge. I'll be using mostly irregularly shaped scraps, but wanted to fit some together in a very slight vee to make a series of long narrow troughs. No problem with them BIG honking granite saws those guys have. Already have some stainless tubing to support them. Can get oodles of copper, too, and that looks nice when patinated. Got several planned, as well as just some water recirculating ideas for the back patio and yard made out of bric-a-brac and whatever else I can scrounge.

May even make the grand boys a jungle Jim set up, as they are now 4 and 6, about old enough for a starter set. I made one for my kids that grew and grew as they did. It was the hit of the neighborhood and was a monster by the time they outgrew it. Sold it for $75, IIRC, and he was tickled pink to get it.

Yeah, I like making things, and welding. May hang out my shingle again and get recertified if this economy don't pick up and my investments don't start paying a little more. Gotta get that tach mounted on the SA200 one of these days and finish the last touches on that one. Trouble is, it's not fun when you HAVE to do it. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Today at my steel supplier I noticed they had a nifty shop built cylinder cart. I bought two sticks of 4" channel iron and asked the guys to cut em up to go in my van. The guy went sailing away on his forklift and came back with the cylinder cart. It was just your garden variety cylinder cart. But it was mounted on a big piece of channel iron with the flanges up. The piece was wide enough that it straddled the frame of the cart and the wheels. It had angle iron tab stops welded behind the wheels so it could be lifted out. In turn, the big channel was welded across the tops of inverted 6 or 8" channel iron pieces. These served as the fork pockets. This platform had an accessories tray welded on. This stuck up almost to the level of the regulators. Probably doesn't comply with the "don't transport cylinders with the regulators attached" rule. But if you're gonna fudge the rules this was the way to do it. V

Reply to
Vernon