Frequency Control

Hi,

I have a question, I don't know if this is the right place to ask....

I want to be able to control the frequency coming out of my car battery. Nice and simple. I saw one a while back, don't know what they are called. But I need one that can take the amperage from a car battery. And I need to be able to control it pretty specifically. hertz to 1000khz

Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks in advance!

mike

Reply to
midearmon

Are you sure that you want to control frequency and not something else, like amperage (current)?

Ignoramus14053

Hello,

I have a question. I am trying to get the output from a car battery to reach a certain frequency. I have been looking for a device that can take the output from the battery and give it a frequency.

Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Reply to
midearmon

You appear to be talking about an inverter to convert DC to AC but why the 1000 KHz? That is radio frequency. Most inverters convert to household voltage 110 AC or 220 AC, depending on where you live.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

Please give details about what you are trying to do so that someone can either give you an answer or direct you to a a different group.

Reply to
Doug

Oscillator.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Inverter. What exactly are you trying to do?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Radio! :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

That would be called a radio transmitter.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

A car battery is DC (direct current), it has no frequency, so there is nothing to control.

If you want to create a 1000 khz signal, you'll need a transmitter. 1000 khz is in the AM radio broadcast spectrum, atleast here in the US.

If you'd say what you are trying to do, you'll get better answers.

You're welcome.

Reply to
42etus

The easiest method is to disconnect the battery, then reconnect it. Do this as fast as you can.

Another method is to use a transistor to do the disconnecting/reconnecting, with the advantage of an output which can be varied in frequency and can be in the form of a number of different wave shapes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

search on voltage to frequency converter, there has got to be an IC that does this

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

First, a little FYI - since it hasn't been expressly mentioned yet:

Batteries are DC, and as such they do not have a frequency. Frequency is an AC phenomenon. Ignoramus14053 and Bruce certainly alluded to this, but no one actually came out and said it.

With that out of the way, here is a theoretical experiment:

Find a 12V DC motor that spins at 1000k RMP and enough HP to turn an AC motor. Next, mount the DC motor (shaft to shaft) to an AC motor. With your DC motor spinning at 1000k RPM, your AC motor should be producing about 1000khz at the terminals. Note: If you use different size pulleys to connect the shafts of the two motors, you will have to calculate the actual RPM of the AC motor's output using the pulleys' circumferences. But this just adds to the fun!

Now tell me this, Dr. Frankenste> Hi,

Reply to
jp2express

Reply to
jp2express

Would be perhaps the first motor that spins at 1000k RPM.

Also, not all AC motors act as generators. Most do not.

Yep.

Ignoramus27006

Depends on how much power you need. The simplest answer would be to get a power inverter (converts dc in to AC voltage out, for running small appliances). If you need more power someone can easily make a custom board using a "555" series chip and running a semiconductor switching device. Try doing a search for custom circuit boards or for the specific application you have in mind... and try looking for tutorials too Brian

Reply to
brian458666

"jp2express" (clip) With your DC motor spinning at 1000k RPM, your AC motor should be producing about 1000khz at the terminals. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not so. You can spin the rotor of an induction motor all you want--you're not going to produce a rotating field. Secondly, the inductances in the field windings are not going to allow you to draw 1000 khz, even if you could generate it.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone EVER generated frequencies that high with a rotating system? I doubt it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Leo Lichtman" wrote: in message news:hgZ7i.45988$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sorry, Iggy--just qs i hit "Send" it dawned on me that you must be kidding. NEVER MIND.

And in that vein, I will propose that you hook a vacuum pump to an AC motor, and connect it to a vacuum source. Get it spinning at a million RPM and....

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Leo, that was not me.

Ignoramus27006

"Ignoramus27006" wrote: Leo, that was not me. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Having screwed up twice, so far in this one thread, I hope I get this right: Sorry Iggy, I see that in your post you said pretty much the same thing that I did.

So, do you agree that jp2express must be kidding?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman