FS -- 275 amp Pipeline Welder, Continental 163 engine

Works great and comes with a 4 wheeled trailer. This is a "big one", not a little 200a welder. Nice external appearance. New waterpump etc. Big leads also included.

Pintle hitch. No lights on trailer.

Price for rec.crafts.metalworking readers is less than I expect to get elsewhere.

Ignoramus12951

Make it 375 amps, not 275.

Also it has both CC and CV mode.

Also, one of the wheels mounting plates (to which the wheel is bolted) is missing a chunk. I am sure it needs to be replaced.

Also the trailer has no springs. I just drove it for 50 miles and I know that it works, but it is a little bumpy.

Ignoramus12951

Funny story about gas powered, trailer welders. I borrowed my dad's one day to work on my race car, before I owned a welder. Taking back to dad, the tongue decided to break off. Nice thing about it, that the welder is self powered. Cranked up the welder on the side of a street in Berkeley, CA and rewelded the tongue. Always figured the local's would have complained about welding without a special permit.

Reply to
Bill McKee

One more correction, the hub missing a chunk will be replaced.

Way cool. Do you know why exactly the tongue broke off, these sorts of things are rather disconcerting.

Ignoramus21666

What the heck is a "375 amp pipeline welder"?

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

A welder to weld pipelines maybe? with 375 amps of current?

Ignoramus21666

Depends on what part. Not advisable in the hills, business as usual on San Pablo Ave.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

A Pipeliner Welder is a brand name of Lincoln Electric used to do heavy welding in the field, pipeline welding being one of its uses from where they took the name.

John

Reply to
john

I am a pipeliner and have been for a long time. A "pipeliner" is any of the various versions of the SA-200 from the 40's till today. There's really no such thing as a 375 amp pipeliner unless you're describing a SA-200, and they will make up to and over 400 amps maxed out. SA-200's are the only machines that are termed "pipeliners", even tho there are a few other machines in common use in the field. So I ask, again, what the heck is a 375 amp pipeliner?

JTMcC, Pipeline Welder

Reply to
JTMcC

Let me answer a question with a question.

Did I call this welder a "pipeliner"?

Ignoramus21666

Ignoramus21666 wrote in news:p8CdnZzx0KbsvebWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No.

Reply to
RAM³

No, you called it a "pipeline welder", what do you base that on? There's a limited number of machines used in mainline construction, so just what machine do you have that you consider a pipeline welder?

I'll add that a pipel>> I am a pipeliner and have been for a long time.

Reply to
JTMcC

On the label on the control panel of the machine.

Airco Scamp-C pipeline welder. I will take pictures of it, but could not today due to darkness.

I was taught that "welder" is a machine, and "weldor" is the person who does the welding.

Good guess. I do weld here and there, but not pipelines.

Airco SCAMP-C. Continental F-163 motor.

Ignoramus21666

Tempting, but the road trip to Chicago wrecks the prospects. (Last time I figured it, $2,500 for gasoline alone LA-Cleveland-LA.)

And I'd have to rebuild my flatbed single-axle trailer to get it home, you can't take that rig on the freeway.

Please tell me it has safety chains between the welder chassis and the tow vehicles that are run through rings on the drawbar...

Those 4-tire "farm trailer" style can be street towed, but no springs means slow and easy. They are not stable if you get it moving too fast.

Check with your state, if they are 'construction equipment' that is not normally driven/towed on the street they don't necessarily need plates and tags.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yes, shipping will kill the deal.

The trailer actually tows better on the highway than on other roads, because highways are smoother.

I believe that this is the case, this is a trailer with a small piece of equipment (welder) bolted to it. Needs lights, yes, but no license.

Ignoramus21666

You should see some of the trailers out here in Texas.

Nothing like a 30' cattle two levels and covered trucking through town on the old highway or parking at the store for a drink.

Not bad when empty, but when full and the summer heat is on- Oh yea!

We get some semi-trailers that seem to cover a block - some good ones are those that haul the electric generating fan blades - They are big and long - and are shipped edge up so as not to fly or the width is to wide. Takes 4 lanes to make a right turn...

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've been stuck behind Pig-Pen and his triple-deck load of Hula Girls headed for the slaughterhouse before, that's worse than cattle or chickens - you either speed up and go around, or pull off for gas and lunch so he's 45 minutes ahead when you get moving again.

That's what the Pilot Car is along for - besides scouting ahead for low bridges and huge potholes, he's there to run interference at the turns and block the idiots in the 4-wheelers. They see the truck signaling for a right turn and swinging way wide to the left to clear the curbs - then try to cut past on the inside.

Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't, but a slick talker can make it the trucker's fault.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Do some research - IIRC, AIRCO didn't build their gear, they just put their tags on someone else's gear. Probably a SA-200 variant.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There's nothing worse than a pig truck. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Considering the engine, I would agree. This is an all-copper welder with the same engine as SA-200.

Ignoramus15568