FS -- 275 amp Pipeline Welder, Continental 163 engine

It's *always* the truckers fault since they are operating the over weight, over sized permit load. It is their responsibility to be paying the utmost attention to handling that load. If the trucker and their escorts doesn't adequately warn and block off cars from getting in the way of the truck performing an "unexpected" maneuver like taking a right turn from the far left lane, *they* have failed. Yes, the people in the cars are oblivious idiots, but the responsibility still lies with the oversized vehicle taking making the unexpected maneuver.

Reply to
Pete C.

When I worked on a products pipeline, we considered whatever gas-powered welder that was in the truck bed to be the "pipeline welder" of the moment. Over time, the truck and the machine changed.

What was missing from the OP was *where* it is: Maine, Califunny, Florida, or somewhere inbetween.

Reply to
David Lesher

In my case, it is easier, as it says "pipeline welder" right on the face. Airco SCAMP-C Pipeline welder. It was actually made by Miller and is the same as Miller Big 40-G.

Sorry, Illinois.

Ignoramus15568

That's interesting, the Big 40's were reliable and had a good reputation. Not used in mainline construction but a lot of structural and equipment guys loved them.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I love it too. Just starting it and hearing it purr is a pleasure.

I spoke today to the maintenance company that maintained it.

This particular welder was made in 1968, so it is 42 years old, and it is still going strong, although it was maintained and upgraded a lot (new waterpump,sanded/painted enclosure etc).

It is quiet as a mouse when in idle, and reasonably quiet at full throttle.

I may be able to wash the road salt off of it tonight and then I will take pictures.

Also, today I will hopefully receive the replacement wheel hub and will replace it. As I said, one hub on it is missing a chunk.

As it has the same engine as SA-200, and all copper windings, I would think that it should be just as suitable for pipeline work as would be an SA-200.

Ignoramus15568

Here's the video of it running

Ignoramus15568

It's not.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

What's that Lassie? You say that Bruce L. Bergman fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:13:44 -0800:

By not stable do you mean it will get 'death wobbles' at speed?

Reply to
dan

Iggy What are you asking for it? I am traveling near your location next week. Steve

Reply to
Up North

"Ignoramus15568" wrote: (clip) and all copper windings, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I didn't know windings were ever made of anything else. Iggy, or anyone, can you fill me in?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have seen aluminum windings .

Ignoramus15568

Just thought of something - I'll bet this is one of the rigs that has the 120V *DC* auxiliary power outlet right above the generator section end-bell. It'll be a NEMA-1 two-prong, non grounding, or possibly one of the old Hubbellock two-pin mini twistlocks.

Check it before you use it for anything other than a resistive (light bulb) load or a brush-type AC/DC universal motor. That usually means fixed-speed or two-speed Sawzalls and Porta-Band and Hole Hawg drills, or Skil 77 framing saws. Or for welding, a brush-type angle grinder.

If it is DC and isn't well marked, make a BIG SIGN. If it's got variable speed it probably will not work - even though the tool has a universal motor, the variable speed trigger electronics can't cope with DC.

Household heaters are out, the element is resistive but the fan motors on anything modern are usually shaded pole. AC Only.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The semis carrying the wind turbine blades that were noted are well over

53' and are special oversize permit loads. They need to take extra wide turns even on multi lane main roads, but again *they* and their lead and chase vehicles are responsible for doing this safely.
Reply to
Pete C.

Email me at ichudov AT algebra DOT com

Reply to
Ignoramus27020

Well ... I've not seen actually *wound* windings of anything but copper (that I know of), but the fabricated windings used in the rotors of induction motors are sometimes aluminum strips in the slots welded to aluminum rings on the ends. My guess is that this is either for less weight for faster acceleration, or to allow higher maximum speeds to avoid the ripping apart from speed which I expect from the experiment in question.

BTW I would feel that the motor would be more likely to self-disassemble at 400 Hz if it were a 3600 RPM (actually a little slower for slip) motor (2-pole) instead of an 1800 RPM (4-pole) motor. I believe that most makers use the same rotor assembly in multiple speeds of induction motors, so with the 3600 RPM frame, there would be more stress beyond the design speed than in an 1800 RPM frame or slower.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

When the current needs to be just so - Silver and zero-resistance wire is used. :-) Mostly in coils but some special purpose motors and steering devices. When small size is needed but high power. Money is no object.

Mart> >> "Ignoramus15568" wrote: (clip) and all copper windings, (clip)

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Well, during the Manhattan Project, many miles of wire were needed for the cyclotrons at Oak Ridge. Copper being a critical material; the folks working on same looked for a substitute.

Silver is a better conductor than copper, much less aluminum, so the fellow dropped in at the office of Undersecretary of the Treasury William Bell & asked to borrow about 6000 ton from the West Point depository. Bell's response was they used troy ounces when talking about silver. Eventually they borrowed about 14500 ton of silver. It was returned.

Reply to
David Lesher

The truckers invariably are doing every thing they can to avoid trouble while maneuvering the oversize loads, and I've seen LOTS of idiot drivers who are in too big a hurry to allow them to make their turn safely. You block them, and they try to go up on the sidewalk to get around you.

The only way to make them behave is have a cop there. And not a security guard, someone with ticketing and arrest powers and the ability to make your insurance rates triple.

I see more problems from truckers driving regulation loads and trailers on busy city streets clipping curbs and light poles - and occasionally fire hydrants...

Because the trucker should have taken the curve much wider, but they would have people cutting around on the inside with their cars and getting hit by the trailer if the truck swung wide enough to do it cleanly.

Happens daily on a busy curve near home. The four-wheelers don't understand that once the tractor commits to the turn, they often can not see the tail of the trailer or anyone trying to make the sneak move - there are blind spots you can lose an ocean liner in.

They can't see that they need to stop, yet they get the blame for hitting the other guy where he shouldn't have been.

" I Me Mine, yes I own the road, here's the receipt." (As they wave the Mercedes lease papers.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Many of the present models of welders have aluminum windings in the transformers. The aluminum windings were used prior to year 2000, but I dunno how much earlier. On several of the domesic USA welder manufacturers' websites, there are comments in the FAQ sections wrt aluminum windings.

My Hobart MIG welder (2002, maybe) has aluminum windings, but my Solar/Century MIG from the early 90s has copper.

Also, many induction motors have stators wound with aluminum, and some of it has a dark red colored coating that looks like enameled copper wire.

I'm not aware of any aluminum windings used on AC/DC universal, or DC motor armatures. I would think wound aluminum wire for armature use would be highly problematic.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

To be a little pedantic, they weren't cyclotrons. They were called calutrons, a type of mass spectrometer.

Jim Stewart