FS -- 275 amp Pipeline Welder, Continental 163 engine

wrote:

The truckers invariably are doing every thing they can to avoid trouble while maneuvering the oversize loads, and I've seen LOTS of idiot drivers who are in too big a hurry to allow them to make their turn safely. You block them, and they try to go up on the sidewalk to get around you.
The only way to make them behave is have a cop there. And not a security guard, someone with ticketing and arrest powers and the ability to make your insurance rates triple.
I see more problems from truckers driving regulation loads and trailers on busy city streets clipping curbs and light poles - and occasionally fire hydrants...
Because the trucker should have taken the curve much wider, but they would have people cutting around on the inside with their cars and getting hit by the trailer if the truck swung wide enough to do it cleanly.
Happens daily on a busy curve near home. The four-wheelers don't understand that once the tractor commits to the turn, they often can not see the tail of the trailer or anyone trying to make the sneak move - there are blind spots you can lose an ocean liner in.
They can't see that they need to stop, yet they get the blame for hitting the other guy where he shouldn't have been.
" I Me Mine, yes I own the road, here's the receipt." (As they wave the Mercedes lease papers.)
--<< Bruce >>--
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

Oh, I quite agree that the distracted, inattentive, arrogant, aggressive PYVs in their yuppmobiles are the root of the problems, but legally, the driver of the oversized vehicle has the responsibility for operating the vehicle safely when making maneuvers where they require more than the normal lane width.
Pete C. wrote:

Yeah , kinda like if somebody trespasses and drowns in your swimming pool while you're not home . Doesn't matter if you have ten foot high chainlink topped with razor ribbon and six locks on the gate that they have to get through . It's still your fault , and you'll be held liable .
--
Snag
We live in

By not stable do you mean it will get 'death wobbles' at speed?
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

I brought home tonight a Hobart Bro. (ages that a bit dont it?) trailer mounted welder. 250 amp DC, with a 6 cylinder gas engine. Story I got was that it came off a Liberty ship.
Had to cough up $60 for two used 16" tires. Damnedest wheels Ive ever seen. No hole in the center of the rim, just a bulge so it clears the wheel nut.
Ill post pictures later today.
Gunner

If you need confirmation that the Liberty Ships carried them, my B-I-L is a Lane Victory crewman. I'll bet they have reference materials that can either confirm or eliminate it.
"Hobart Brothers" is a huge clue. Chrysler six? They used them on all the Searchlight generators.
(Welcome home, and please ease up on the trolls. Other than them railing on about you "running away", it's been quiet. QuietER...)
--<< Bruce >>--
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:16:28 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman

Ask him if you think about it.
Here are the pics
http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/HobartGasolineWelder #
Gunner

I'll forward this to him.
I know you know better ;-P but... You are supposed to either crank the tongue jack all the way up or remove the jammed jack *before* going over dips and in and out of driveways. It's supposed to be vertical.
And get a hitch receiver with some more Rise to it - that's half the battle with the tongue jack, that little truck has the hitch mounted way low, the trailer frame should be riding more or less level. With the tongue low the tongue weight will be too high.
My Van is about the same - I had to buy a Class III/V 6" Rise receiver to make a two-axle hydraulic trailer ride level - from the rental yard. ($$) Wouldn't let me out with the 3" rise I normally carry.
That pink epoxy stuff is worrying - If you are keeping it, now's the time to find a good block while you can wait for the right price.
I love the open-frame Pick And Hold throttle solenoid...
For 12V generators and old Autolite starters, repeat after me: Mission Auto Electric, 13472 Van Nuys Bl, Pacoima. 818 896-7736. They still fix em.
--<< Bruce >>--
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 23:40:13 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

Saw that on another post. Now you know how it got that way.

I hesitate to say "here" because it's way north of your preferred area, and because my brother and his wife (the other Trustees) might not be amused, so keep looking on the East Side/Orange Cty - but if all else fails, you can get scrubbed up nice and we can ask them...
There is a side yard that's gated off, but it needs cleaning out and we'd need to move the 12'X20' "carport" tent frame back, shuffle my Stuff a little. (It's a much smaller pile of Stuff.)
Is your Van running, tags, etc. to haul it with?
The Hobart Bros can park in Trailer Row next to my Signal Corps PE-95G in the Henry Spen 3/4-Ton Military, the ex-Sailboat Carrier flatbed that needs a new bed, and the Coleman Caboose 3X5.
--<< Bruce >>--
What the heck is a "375 amp pipeline welder"?
JTMcC.

A welder to weld pipelines maybe? with 375 amps of current?

Ignoramus21666 wrote:

A Pipeliner Welder is a brand name of Lincoln Electric used to do heavy welding in the field, pipeline welding being one of its uses from where they took the name.
John
I am a pipeliner and have been for a long time. A "pipeliner" is any of the various versions of the SA-200 from the 40's till today. There's really no such thing as a 375 amp pipeliner unless you're describing a SA-200, and they will make up to and over 400 amps maxed out. SA-200's are the only machines that are termed "pipeliners", even tho there are a few other machines in common use in the field. So I ask, again, what the heck is a 375 amp pipeliner?
JTMcC, Pipeline Welder

Let me answer a question with a question.
Did I call this welder a "pipeliner"?

No.
No, you called it a "pipeline welder", what do you base that on? There's a limited number of machines used in mainline construction, so just what machine do you have that you consider a pipeline welder?
I'll add that a pipeline welder is a human being, who uses a welding machine. But that's getting a little picky on real world terminology so you slide on that one. But I'm guessing you've never struck an arc on a pipeline. So....what machine are you selling?????
JTMcC.

On the label on the control panel of the machine.

Airco Scamp-C pipeline welder. I will take pictures of it, but could not today due to darkness.

I was taught that "welder" is a machine, and "weldor" is the person who does the welding.

Good guess. I do weld here and there, but not pipelines.

Airco SCAMP-C. Continental F-163 motor.

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:43:54 -0600, Ignoramus21666

Do some research - IIRC, AIRCO didn't build their gear, they just put their tags on someone else's gear. Probably a SA-200 variant.
--<< Bruce >>--

Considering the engine, I would agree. This is an all-copper welder with the same engine as SA-200.
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:31:52 -0600, Ignoramus15568

Just thought of something - I'll bet this is one of the rigs that has the 120V *DC* auxiliary power outlet right above the generator section end-bell. It'll be a NEMA-1 two-prong, non grounding, or possibly one of the old Hubbellock two-pin mini twistlocks.
Check it before you use it for anything other than a resistive (light bulb) load or a brush-type AC/DC universal motor. That usually means fixed-speed or two-speed Sawzalls and Porta-Band and Hole Hawg drills, or Skil 77 framing saws. Or for welding, a brush-type angle grinder.
If it is DC and isn't well marked, make a BIG SIGN. If it's got variable speed it probably will not work - even though the tool has a universal motor, the variable speed trigger electronics can't cope with DC.
Household heaters are out, the element is resistive but the fan motors on anything modern are usually shaded pole. AC Only.
--<< Bruce >>--