FS Dayton MIG welder 225A

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:25:55 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

"Such a deal I wouldn't give my own brother! (Cause he knows where I live.)"

Seems fair to me. Or the system seems fair. It is, after all, your stuff.

pyotr filipivich

I have not tried it, but was told that it does. I will try it on Saturday, hopefully.

Ignoramus21020

Just learn to tell the person to watch out for that doorknob on the way out. You are doing nothing wrong by offering it for less to friends and associates. And why do you want to spend more than two seconds listening to some whiner when the next guy will pay full boat? The guy is obviously bent if he is going to search through all that to find that information. You will lose customers if you don't advertise here. And those will be better customers than this clod and his ilk.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You just need to develop a simple test for these folks. Tell them if they are on this group then there is one person they probably have kill-filed. If they answer Cliffy, sell them the item, If they answer Gunner, Ed, Don Tell them to get lost....

Simple.

Or tell them that the door out is the same one they came in....

Reply to
Steve W.

Or only offer the discount to posters here. When they find the link some way other than reading rcm, just ask them what name they post under and what their last post was about, and google it up (or not :-)). I can't see this leading to a flood of one time posters just to get the discount, and even if it does, maybe some of those newbies will stick.

Oh, since I tend to hijack other's threads it is only fair to hijack my own - if anyone cares about my previous question on power supplies, I got a

10V50A HP power supply for $12.50 on ebay. Was listed as only going up to 8.4V instead of 10V so sold as not working, for parts. Two of the pics clearly showed the external wires from the remote sense terminals to the output terminals were missing so I took a chance and now it works just fine.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus3519 fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:57:44 -0500:

Could you just add the header,

to the message. That will keep google from archiving it. Add it as the first line of text and it should work.

In fact it may have worked on this post. Wait a few hours/days and search for it and see.

Reply to
dan

The replies will be archived anyway

Reply to
Ignoramus21020

The welder was sold, for 33% more than I was asking here.

I also learned something today. He wanted the tank (fine) I asked the buyer, who lived 50 miles from here, what will he do with a tank with a local supplier's name on the collar.

He said, GET THIS, that he puts them in his lathe, and simply turns the collar down on the lathe, so that all lettering is removed. That's a big MF of a lathe!

Ignoramus21577

I altered my bottle by just grinding it smooth, then finishing it with a sanding disc, then a wire brush @ 14,000 rpm. Sounds like this ain't his first rodeo.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They are only taking a light cut with a lathe or a light touch with the die grinder on the bottom (non-threaded) half of the collar, just enough to take off the cast-in raised letters with the old bottle owner name on them.

Doesn't matter that the company named on that collar is no longer in business and didn't sell off their stock to another company, you are stuck with a bottle you can't exchange. At least until you make that confounding name disasppear.

Once it's neatly gone, and you have a supply house that has enough discretion to not ask questions that don't need asking, now you have an Owner Bottle you can get filled.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

(...)

(...)

I think I understand.

It's still hinky. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Kx??TÑnÓ@|÷W ´ 9Æq??Ðhó?ÔH??½±O=?wç?ü={N iª%?·¾???ä?Èó£q>*¦)®{cØá? ?t8¯?øó·?ïWs­ê&ø?¹Ê ?£:?cãlà³äB]¡ ?IQ?ⶠ2?ñÙääl\`?Oò

Reply to
Ignoramus27237

You really don't know what we're talking about, do you? You are obviously not talking about lease bottles with their name in the cast collar. Even if you have one in your possession, it's not a trade-in bottle unless your name is on the lease. When the owner company decommissions the bottle from a rental status, THEY remove their stamp, or stamp some type of ID code on the bottle. Until then, it's rental property that has not been returned. If you take it for filling or exchange, they can confiscate it on the spot, and just say thank you. Calling the police will do no good, as it is a civil matter, and besides, their name, or the name of the company they represent is clearly on it, and that's proof that it is THEIRS. If you want to make a fuss, the counter geek can tell the responding officer that you brought in stolen property, and that is NOT a civil matter. It is owned forever and always by that company unless that company goes out of business, sells it to you and you have the paperwork, or sells the cylinders and the public knows about it as in the case of the US Navy. Third party paperwork does not work, as in the case of Joe Schmo sold it to me, therefore, it's mine. You have to have paperwork from the company name on the collar.

You really don't get it, or don't do a lot of cylinders, do you? How long have you been reading these threads.

HTH, and that you NOW understand it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Indeed. The lathe I mentioned though is in my shop in Fullerton. I have

440 service at 800 amps.....the motor that runs it is....50hp. Nothing you really really want to own unless you have lots and lots and lots of work.

But I agree on having a warehouse...some really really good deals on machinery these days. But when it costs $2000 to move that $800 lathe..and no one is buying...its almost enough to make a guy cry....

GUnner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

(...)

We shall see. (I was just asking a question, Steve.)

Why do you say that? I thought I was.

Yes, in most cases that is true.

That's reasonable.

Yes, in most cases. So?

Years. And you?

I got that before, Steve.

Can you help me understand your position, though? You come in to possession of a bottle. It has "a local supplier's name on the collar."

I know what I would do under those circumstances. I'd return it to the supplier.

The buyer of Iggy's MIG indicated that "he puts them in his lathe, and simply turns the collar down on the lathe, so that all lettering is removed."

I feel that doing that is morally wrong; I would not do it.

My closing statement, rephrased is that modifying such a bottle is very likely to cast suspicion on one's integrity, at the very least.

It would be perfectly acceptable to return the bottle to it's owner, as is, no modifications.

If the owner no longer maintains an interest in the bottle, one could reasonably expect to have it accepted in trade, just as any 'owner' bottle.

I get the feeling that we are in "Violent Agreement".

Yes?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Is there a special mark that's used for bottles that can be personally owned by an individual?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Because bottles with names cast in the collars are owned by the company, and not able to be just exchanged freely as you claim, rather exchanged under the terms of the rental/lease agreement.

Reply to
SteveB

Apparently no. Iggy bought and paid for a bottle, and was able to sell it to a person who could use it without going through the gyrations the supplier wanted them to. Or just wanted to take the easy way out.

I bought and paid for a cylinder that the seller (an honorable man I know) stated he owned. When I took it to refill, they asked me to return it, which I refused. (It stayed on the back of my truck until after negotiations.) Said bottle had been out of hydro for 18 years, although still under pressure. If said bottle was an issue of a rental/lease agreement, that would have been resolved years hence, therefore giving the possessor 9/10 of the weight of the law. My exception was that the company that was dealing with the refills refused to give me ANY consideration at all even after I had spent over $3,000 last year with them.

There are cases where one clearly purchases a dubious bottle. In other cases, there should be some leeway on adjusting these bottles so as to keep the person's continuing business. If the companies want to blackmail you and be hardheaded, you just put it in a lathe, or smooth the embossing off. Do the math. Would they rather yank you around on a $200 tank, or keep a customer that does $3k a year with them. I know what I'd do.

After a person having a bottle in their possession nearly twenty years, I would ASS-U-ME that the company would "no longer maintain an interest" in the bottle, as you put it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So what if he was honorable. Could it more likely be that he thought he owned it because he didn't understand the contract?

So you advocate stealing the bottle which the company PROVED they owned?

If I was the one who had the company who owned the bottle you would have been arrested and charges filed against you.

So because the other person didn't bother to return it gives YOU legal title to keep it? Damn where did you come up with that?

The company OWNS the bottle until they either are bought out by a different company (who then own those bottles) OR the company goes out of business. If they go out of business and sell the bottles outright then you woudld get a reciept saying you owned it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Regarding the ethics of rental tanks: as far as I know, for each of the "company owned" tanks, there was a deposit paid that exceeds the value of the tank. When these tanks later change hands, the gas supplier keeps the deposit, whihc is the money that it also had an opportunity to use for years. This was the case with my own bottle rental from Terrace: they took a big deposit and gave me a bottle.

So, taking that bottle does not result in that supplier being hurt financially.

The so called "ownership", in this case, is just a way to prevent people from going to other suppliers with that bottle, in other words, this is basically a legalized racket.

Ignoramus27237