getting certified

hi gang, i've been mig welding for about 12 years now and i figured it's about time to get certified. i've got a few questions:

  1. what type of mig certificates are available ( overhead, vertical up?)
2.where would i go in southeast michigan to take the test? 3.is it expensive? 4.are there any websites that discuss certification parameters?

i have also been doing alot of tig welding (practice) during my lunch breaks and i suppose i should check out tig certificates so can anyone provide any info about tig certificates? many thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

I would like to get a cert also. Why? pure BS, you know PR type thing. So when someone wants there lawnmower fixed I point and say I'm certified. No I'm not trying to be a wise ass, or hurt any feelings, but what is the easiest cert to get? ( I can MIG TIG or stick).

Les

Reply to
PIW

MIG certs are by far the easiest. At school we offer MIG certs mostly for your very reason. Somebody just wants a pretty piece of paper.

3/8" steel, backing strip, vertical up and overhead. 0.035" wire, 16 volts, 160 ipm There are very few shops who would ever ask for such a cert, but it does give you a WABO card to wave under peoples' noses.

The other cert that is in the same category is the thick-to-thin cert.

16 ga Galvanized in a "T" weld to 1/4" steel. Vertical up, and overhead. I think this one was invented for the roofers and window glazers.

Several years ago I had 5 TIG welders from the Chihuly glass studio take my night class. They had been assembling huge blown glass chandeliers in Las Vegas for Chihuly and the local inspectors were giving them a hard time because none of them had any certs.

I challenge anybody to figure out what official AWS cert applies to assembling chandeliers from Stainless Steel hydraulic tube.

We decided to give them all TIG thick-to-thin certs.

The next time they went to Vegas they just flashed their WABO cards at the inspectors.

WABO stands for Washington Association of Building Officers. It is based on AWS D1.1 from about 15 years ago. I understand that Oregon's certs are based on Washington's.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler