Help finding some tubing

I need to find some tubing, or spacers with the following dimensions:

Outside-3/4" Inside-1/2" Any length...as I can cut them to the size I need.

These are for the spindles on a go-kart that I'm helping a neighbor's son build. I've looked a bit, but didn't find anything right away.

Thanks

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

I presume all this is for a low speed 'toy'. If not, then consider very seriously what will happen when something breaks - and it will !

I guess that if you had access to a lathe you wouldn't be asking the question, because all you would do would be to chuck a piece of 3/4 and drill down the middle !

If the 1/2 inch hole is a bearing surface (on a bolt, for instance), then I have had success with forcing a piece of plastic (nylon for instance) down inside the larger tube (eg 3/4 erw), and then drilling for a fit on the axle bolt. You should do heavy welding first, but actually you get can get away with a 'light' weld afterwards, although the bore will need a touch up. These plain bearings are much tougher than any kind of ball-race or commercial bearing, and cheap too. You need to oil them a bit, unless you use one of the self-lubricating grades of nylon.

Incidentally, beware of bolts as axles, and especially beware of welding them in - the heat makes the bolt far more likely to break. Similarly, make sure that there are no threads or steps in any part of the bolt that is subject to bending stress, or you will get fatigue cracking.

regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Garnett

I would send you to the Metal Supermarkets Website, but it isn't workingh right now.

Try Online Metals. They should have 3/4" tubing with a 0.120" wall.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yup...it's a low speed yard kart...kid has a tired B&S 5 HP motor for it with a cent. clutch..I doubt it'll go more than 5 mph..

I have yet to justify a lathe....I look at them continually....I have friends with lathes, though....

The plans do call for weld>I presume all this is for a low speed 'toy'. If not, then consider very

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

Thanks, Ernie...3/4" with .120 wall is 1/2" ID?? I think I can buy that here....

DOH!!

Jamie Arnold (W)

How fussy are those dimensions? Ordinary schedule 40 1/2" pipe is 0.84" OD, 0.109" wall, 0.622" ID.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

That would work as well.. Ernie's suggestion of .120 (.510 ID) is almost a perfect fit.

Thanks, guys....

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

If you can find any locally, schedule 80 1/2" pipe might be better:

0.84" OD, 0.147" wall, 0.546" ID.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Thanks...I'm calling our local steel guys today...

Jamie Arnold (W)