Hooters

So I'm goofing around in the shop, and I have this set of P-3 Nathan Airchimes from a diesel locomotive, just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I start looking at my Goldwing. Now, there was no beer involved, but neverless, something weird happened. This thing is really fun. One of my friends was riding by in the opposite direction yesterday and i gave him a little toot. He said he damn near fell off of his bike laughing.

I haven't recorded them, but here is recording of another P-3

Here?s some other uh, colorful deaf people.

Paul Calman

collecting

involved, but

Reply to
richard.smith.met

How do you keep them citters in air?

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Don Bruder

Building something like this is as much fun as using it. I used an air compressor from an 81 Wing's suspension, 2 old propane torch tanks as air tanks, a solonoid valve, a 140 PSI shut-off for air bag suspension. I didn't lose any cargo capacity as it's all outside of the bags. I get about 5 seconds continuous blast (an eternity) or about 7 short hoots in succession, and then about 5 minutes for refill. If i used them more than that, i

might get arrested for molesting livestock or something.

I will be looking to scrounge a better compressor, but don't want to use all my charging capacity. I have an area above the center stand where i can install another small tank, but am looking for something to fill the shape. The system could all be removed in 20 minutes If i get tired of it (not likely) and when I install an 81 Wing's rear swing arm and final drive on this 76 Wing in a few weeks, I will be able to use the 81's air shock system without the usual welding of different lower ends to the shocks. This combo will give me a higher gear ratio for better mileage, and lengthen the wheelbase 2.5 inches. Tomorrow I am leaving on a ride for the weekend, so i will be able to compare my mileage with that of my trip 2 weeks ago and see what kind of change there is. I could follow aerodynamic practice and put a simple spike in front of each hooter to split the airflow, but the numbers will tell me if it's worth the effort.

Reply to
Paul Calman

do you pull a trailer with your wing? a lot of them do, you could put a couple small ex-propane tanks in there.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

That is cool as hell !! Your neighbors must love you!

Rob

Reply to
RDF

I'd think that setting those things off would slow you down by 5 MPH! We've got a cabin Big Trees. If I hear a locomotive going by on Hwy 4, I'll know it's you.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I was curious too. So I went down to the local Hooters and did a survey. Eighty-six percent of the staff responded: "silicone." ;)

Reply to
DeepDiver

The big problem I see with them is when you touch them off, it takes 25 mph off of your current speed and you have to accelerate back up again !!

2004.
Reply to
Mike Fields

When I used to ride I had a small air horn, perhaps 8-9" long, it helped immensely with those people who refused to acknowledge a motorcycle. But yours are GREAT!

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Throttle up when you pull the trigger, just like an A10....

Reply to
Pete C.

I cranked up the speakers on my PC, the dog was in the other room, she hauled ass out of the house when she heard the horns going off and would not come back in until my wife bribed her with a treat.

Don D.

Reply to
Don D.

Thanks Paul, you made my day :-)

Rob

"Paul Calman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Reply to
Rob McDonald

Is that cardboard taped over the radiator? If so, why?

John

Reply to
John

With my modifications the bike runs cooler than most, and the thermostat never opens in cool weather. The cardboard is an experiment to block airflow in cool weather, like the aprons on commercial truck, so that the engine will operate in the correct heat range and gett efficient combustion. It works, and Now I will make the permanent part from black plastic. The duct tape is a handle so i can remove it easily from behind the screen.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I went on a ride for 3 days. At one point I was on a road that crosses railroad tracks just before a traffic light. 2 cars were stopped clear, and the moron in the third car stopped ON the tracks in an area where the trains go by at 70 MPH. He will probably remember me for a while. Later in the day I gave a few long blasts on the horns about mile outside of Coulterville, a historical gold mining town that once had rails, while coming down a long hill. The guys doing a cowboy gunfight in the street gave me a round of applause as I went by. For some reason, my friends won't ride in front of me anymore, so i have to do the navigating. That was usually the case anyway. At a restaurant in a small mexican farm labor town (Orosi), about a dozen kids were admiring our bikes. I let the smallest one give them a good blast. Too fun.

Reply to
Paul Calman
Reply to
Randy Birkhimer

Re: Hooters

That was me. I have pics of it at

with more shots in the album. There is a group on MSN groups called " Back yard built goldwing's bar and grille" where the guys are messing with different carbs and fuel injection systems. interesting stuff.

Reply to
Paul Calman
Reply to
Randy Birkhimer