Utterly OT- I'm so glad I'm a geek!

Just completed making arrangements so we can go to her family reunion in Illinois over July 4th weekend- surfed a bunch of travel sites and got two tickets from Palm Springs to Moline for about $250 each, ROUNDTRIP! This was about half what I thought it would be!! I can deal with the relatives for three days no problem, and the upside is I get to fly on a 777 and a BAe 146, and I got window seats for all six legs of the trip! COOL!

Reply to
Jim Atkins

I know how you feel - I did East Coast to LA about 4 1/2 years ago on $300. I'm not sure what I was more tickled with - the price, the window seat on every flight or the fact that on 4 out of 6 flights the seat beside me was empty.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

You got ~six~ legs?????

Reply to
Old Timer

They're great little planes!

Reply to
Martin

Horses for courses, I suppose.

I reckon they're bloody awful. Having flown domestic routes all over Australia in them, I found the BAe146 to be cramped and noisy. The seats are too small, the headrests too low, the legspace too short and there's no entertainment system fitted. Admittedly, much of this is probably just Qantas' preferred fit-out of these aircraft and other airlines may have better-equipped aircraft.

I never understood why people rush to get a window seat - more often than not, the view is the top of the clouds!

James.

Reply to
James Venables

He said geek, not freak. But than again...

WmB

Reply to
WmB

- through a small, blurry, double-glazed perspex window...

RobG

And you're right with the 146s.

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

i'll take an isle seat by the emergency exit, thank you.

or out of the damn plane....

One could get 'Lost' that way. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Yeah Rob, I forgot that bit.

Qantas' 146's are awful little shitboxes aren't they? I've flown them frequently and they were almost always assigned to the Brisbane - Mt Isa route when I was working out there, resulting in a most uncomfortable 2.5 hour trip. Qantas also overcharge to the max on that route for the "pleasure" of experiencing their 146 aircraft - I used to pay about A$800 for a round trip. I'm currently working in Laos and pay US$750 for a return trip from Vientiane to Brisbane!

James.

Reply to
James Venables

Well they are better than the small turbo props which are the only ones which fit at Belfast City when I fly from Birmingham to our NI customers.

However sub 1 hour flights

Reply to
Martin

Well, flying in a 146 beats walking, or even the 11 hour car trip to Brisbane - but they are not the most comfortable sardine can in the air. I do like the look of the little jiggers, though - kinda like a 4 engined Harrier, if you squint a bit and cross your eyes; after several double scotches and a bit of concussion... OK, they don't look anything like a Harrier - but I still like the way they look.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Both BAe both high wing - thats it!