Newbie Qs: Bought Hobart CyberTig II 200A welder

Very nice. Thanks Ernie. I just spoke to the seller and, barring unforeseen circumstances, I will be picking the welder up tomorrow in the evening. I already paypaled the seller $9.99.
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:22:52 GMT, Ignoramus27437

I tested mine with jumper cables. Worked.

When you pick this beast up..be damned sure you get the "dummy plug", which is a 10 pin military style connector. This machine will turn on, but will NOT give you any welding power at all (you will get a HF spark) without the plug, or a pedal installed.
here is the pinout
http://www.ssccontrols.com/Product%20Information%20Sheets/Product%20Information%20Sheet%20-%20C870-1025%20TIG%20Foot%20Controls.pdf
But be advised..its a bitch finding the proper connector anyplace, if you wish to make up your own. SSC does sell them. Once you have the plug, its easy to make your own dummy plug or modify a pedal. Get two. One for tig (pedal) and one for stick (dummy plug)
Ive never seen one of these with anything other than rotary pots in most of the program locations. This machine appears to have been designed for automated welding. Hobart made the CyberTig machines using a "in a drawer" modular system. The control and electronics guts simply slide in and out, so the machine could be configured to customer requirements using different moduals.
Gunner

Sounds nice. I have some jumper cables which would not be convenient, and also some separate 4 gauge cables.

http://www.ssccontrols.com/Product%20Information%20Sheets/Product%20Information%20Sheet%20-%20C870-1025%20TIG%20Foot%20Controls.pdf
Thanks... The pinout looks pretty simple... They do not provide R1, R2, C1, C2 and C3 values though...

That's kind of pricey at $195... I will check a little more...

I hope that I can use it in some simple mode... That would only make sense to make it usable for simple manual operation...
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:34:01 GMT, Ignoramus14458

Im sure I can get those values for you.

The plugs themselves are something like $15 from them, each.
Gunner

That would be wonderful.

Do you mean from SSC Controls? That's nice. Now, the difference between a plug and a foot pedal is that a plug is always "ON", whereas a foot pedal is ON or OFF, operator controlled. Is that right? Or does the foot pedal also control the amount of current, or gas, or whatever? (controls amount of something and not just the on/off setting).
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:25:30 GMT, Ignoramus14458

The foot pedal has a on and off switch in addition to a variable resister that controls the current. My welder has a switch that turns the variable part of the foot pedal on or off. I added a switch to the panel that turns the other part on and off. Thus I don't need the dummy plug anymore. I'd made one up from a spare cable that came with my welder and used it at first. But constantly having to unscrew the plug and insert the foot pedal each time got to be a pain. With the switch I can just leave the foot pedal hooked up and by the flip of a couple of switches go from foot pedal control to normal welding control.
At one time I had the schematic and values for all the components but I have no clue where I put them. It might be possible to do a google search of past RCM archives and find what I posted back then (it's been several years now).
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Aha, that's quite clever. I think that I see now that I have quite a few options here.

I will try to google rec.crafts.metalworking for that. Were you posting under the same name?
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:01:51 GMT, Ignoramus14458

My sigs nearly always been the same but back then I would of had a e-mail address of snipped-for-privacy@pan-tex.net.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

I found a few posts about your purchase of Hobart cybertig 300 etc. Someone mentioned jumpering A and B sockets to arc weld, but I have not found a description of the foot pedal schematic.
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:44:58 GMT, Ignoramus14458

If worse comes to worse I'll go out and measure the values on my foot pedal. I got lucky at the auction where I got mine and noticed the pedal for it in another guys lot. I managed to buy it from him for some pittance.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Thanks Wayne. Let me wait until I actually get the welder (tomorrow evening, if all goes well), make sure that it powers up, etc.
The welder includes two very thick binders with "paperwork", which just might include the foot pedal schematic, who knows.
So, for now, I have just one question. What foot pedal connectors to short (jump) to power up the welder? A and B?

Traditionally A and B are the contactor control. C, D, and E are the connectors for the potentiometer (high, ground, low)
--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Yep.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Without the pot connections, it will have no power. When I made my breadboard unit, I used a 5k ohm pot and it gave me full range.
I didnt use any of the caps. In fact..if you look at the backside of the plug connector on the panel..yu may find them already in place.
Gunner

Gunner, if so... if I can ask you for a favor.... What is resistance between D and F and F and K that you used? If one or two of them is variable, what was your range?
thanks

Must be different from mine. On mine there's a switch to turn the pot on the foot pedal on and off. I all need to do is throw that to bypass the pot.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Hummmm....whats the label?
Gunner

Remote current control on/off I believe.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm