Automatic darkening helmets: Color rendering

I have used my automatically darkening helmet for couple of years now, and thought that deteriorating weld quality and seam accuracy is age-linked. Now that I reverted to an old helmet, I discovered that seeing a puddle, just how it looks, where are its boundaries, and how it can be manipulated with rod, are superiour compared with auto darkenig helmet.

Now I'd like to know, are all autodarkenig helmets rendering puddle color as shades of green. My helmet makes almost impossible to tell where is the mold/solid interface, just due to these minor shade variations.

The conventional helmet puddle image is yellow, or orange yellow, anything not molten are clearly visible, helping the welding process significantly.

Matti R.

Reply to
Matti Rantanen

What kind of auto-dark helmet have you been using? There are some different tints in different units . . .

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

A lens unit is made by Xelux in Swizerland. A helmet is of local brand. The lens unit is X316 in their listing.

Matti R.

Reply to
Matti Rantanen

My old Speedglas XL lens was a blue-green, but my Jackson Nexgen is amber.

Both allowed perfect viewing of the weld.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler