Newbie Question. Any North West UK welders online for help.

I have been reading the group for a few days now, both searching the archives and reading the threads see if there any answers to my basic questions.

Only a hobbyist machinist yet, but have visions of one day making it. I have played with a small Mig set up for a year but more of a try-it and see person. Grind it back and try again approach.

I have just picked up a smallish MMA stick welder, an Oxford RT-110. 240 Volts primary and max current around 110 amps, 50 volt AC.

All seems to be working with the machine so I have no questions on that save if anyone has the operators book for completeness I can copy.

I am looking to find a welding course in my area NW UK to assist me with learning how to weld with greater success. Due to full time work sat behind a computer day courses do not allow for any of the professional courses available so looking for a part time course or anything that could be done in one week period.

Any advise from UK readers is much appreciated on what is available and general information on the reasons behind AC and DC variants much appreciated from all.

I have picked up a large book "The procedure handbook of arc welding" by the Lincoln foundation but finding it a bit heavy going especially if I try to read on stresses and strains in the design section. I guess later.

Sorry for the long mail but I am trying to put in as much as I can to the post.

TIA.

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Adrian, most colleges in the NW the 165 Cert. in Welding and Fabrication Practice, CGLI 3267 Introductory Welding Course. If you live near Bolton College give them a ring. If not Blackpool College and Preston College both offer these courses. You could of course just ring your local college to see what they provide.

Best of luck.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Culshaw

Thanks Harry;

Contacted Myerscough college and they do a 10 week course in the evenings with 2 hours a week. Found something that may do in Blackburn via an outfit called training 2000 done during the normal working day, just waiting for a phone call back to see what the costs are and when available. If it looks OK I will attend there as I live Darwen side.

-- Cheers Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

[snip]

Have you visited

? Lists some books for sale and also useful links to welders job knowledge at

mb

I have recently found these sites and have them tagged in the favourites.

I especially like the TWI pages.

-- Cheers Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson