Pipe Bender

Anyone ever build one? I have a few ideas but am having trouble working out
the fine points. Any help would be appreciated. I want to bend 1" and 1.5"
pipe.
TIA
Bert
Reply to
Bert & Eileen Plank
Unless you have nothing better to do, Harbor Freight usually has them on sale. The flyer that I just got has a 12 ton ram with 6 dies ranging from 1/2" to 2" for $70. I got a closeout for under $40 Item #32888
Bert & Eileen Plank wrote:
Reply to
Roy
You guys should look up the "Hossfeld Bender". Should be the answer to your prayers.
Reply to
Benderart
If you go to the address below...have a look at the Hossfeld. The bender is nothing short of brilliant.
Benderart
Honestly if you want to bend pipe, then just buy one of the cheap harbor freight hydraulic units.
I have one and it works surprisingly well.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Pipe, for a go-cart or dune buggy for my son.
Bert
Reply to
Bert & Eileen Plank
Do you want to bend pipe or tubing ? There is a difference. Iowa883
Reply to
Iowa883
I often have a need to bend tubes 2" or less, but the machines are expensive. I have resorted buying pipe just for the bends using the Harbor Freight "pipe bender" and use the thin tube on the rest of the structure. That way I can make very tight bends easily. It works out pretty well and the size difference is usually no problem to hide.
Reply to
Zorro
Sorry, not feasible. I'm in Canada. Put on the exchange rate, duty and shipping for an item that heavy and it will be cheaper to make one.
All that said......anyone got some measurements or sketches I could use???
Bert Newfoundland, Canada
Reply to
Bert & Eileen Plank
Here you can view the product manual for the 12 ton bender. It has an exploded view and a drawing.

Zorro
Try Princess Auto in Canada. They sell any of the same tools as Harbor Frieght.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Bert:
There is a company just out side of Cambridge Ontario that sell a lot of that type of stuff but they don't advertise a lot and for the life of me I can't seem to find his address .
Please send me an e-mail at rambler@golden net and I will try and find his name and pass it along to you.
Ernie was right when he said try Princes Auto and if you didn't already know they have a web site

Jimbo
Reply to
Jimbo
Thanks, a big help. Bert
Reply to
Bert & Eileen Plank
what is the difference between pipe and tubing and why would that matter for a bending machine? I have heard this before, but I have never had anyone been able to explain it to me. thank yall for the information.
Scott Young
Reply to
Young
Basically, pipe is measured on the inside diameter while tubing is measured outside.
An oversimplified example would be.... ....a bending die for 1.250" pipe will be approximately 1.660" inside to accomodate the 1.250" pipe's o.d. while a bending die for 1.250 tubing will be approximately 1.250" inside - the actual o.d. measurement of 1.250" tubing.
Tubing dies usually run in standard tubing sizes - 1.250", 1.500", 1.750", etc., and none really come close to matching standard pipe o.d. sizes.
AND, several people on this newsgroup and others have testified to the fact that pipe benders usually kink and crumple any tubing when bending is attempted with a near-correct size pipe die - for example using the 1.250" pipe die designed for an approximate 1.660" outside diameter in an attempt to bend 1.500" tubing.
Follower dies also are different for thinner walled tubing benders from heavier walled pipe benders.
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services
Young wrote in article ...
Reply to
Bob Paulin
thankyou for the reply