pipe nomenclature

I am familiar with schedule 40 or sched 80 but ran into something on a print today. The description read DN 40 and after that XS. I am guessing the XS is standard strength as opposed to XXS. The "DN" has me stumped. Anyone???? Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

guessing the XS

Pretty sure the DN describes a nominal metric size, in this case 40mm. XS is extra strong wall, XXS is double extra strong wall

Reply to
Rick

Rick is correct. For the worldwide metrication, our NPS (nominal pipe size - note it is "nominal", not actual, since a NPS 2 is not actually

2" either for the OD or ID) gets converted to DN ("diameter nominal") in mm.

For your case DN 40 is equivalent to NPS 1-1/2 (i.e. 1.5 inches).

As Rick indicated, XS is "extra strong", which would be a wall thickness of 0.200" for this diameter. "Standard" (equivalent to "Schedule 40" for this same diameter) would be 0.154". For those unfamiliar with pipe schedule tables, the wall thickness is different for each diameter for the same rating, i.e. XS or Sch. 40 or whatever.

For the smaller diameters (less than 4 inches), the equivalency table of DN and NPS is as follows:

DN 8 = NPS 1/8 DN 10 = NPS 3/8 DN 15 = NPS 1/2 DN 20 = NPS 3/4 DN 25 = NPS 1 DN 32 = NPS 1-1/4 DN 40 = NPS 1-1/2 DN 50 = NPS 2 DN 65 = NPS 2-1/2 DN 80 = NPS 3 DN 100 = NPS 4

Reply to
tdoodyNS