Re: 4130?

Thanks Ernie for saving my butt on that one. I really have no idea about part number or manufacturer. What I heard from the tour guide at Robinson was that they have to make their own since nobody would cooperate with their requests for this special need. The cup is bell shaped made from two cups cut apart and the top of one and bottom of the other mated back together. The smaller side threads onto the collet body and the larger leading to the work. I think they also put something like scotchbrite in there for a gas diffuser. These cups "look" like the ones in the PDF except that the larger side goes toward the work piece.

Reply to
Zorro

Thanks Ernie, I guess the theory behind the larger cup is to flood the weld area with argon to allow for the extra extension of the tungsten.

Ebby

Reply to
Ebby

Zorro,

I just looked up the Gas Saver large diameter prices in CK for a 9 torch (2 series). Yikes! $73.71 to handle 1/16" tungsten.

Ebby

Reply to
Ebby

They are an investment, but they don't wear out.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Is there a way around using this cup? For example, in your opinion could a 'Y-valve' attached to the argon regulator with a separate hose be used as a secondary source of inert gas? It would be similar to a backpurge but from the outside in conjunction with the TIG torch. The reason I ask is I already have the 'Y-valve'.

Ebby

Reply to
Ebby

Sure you can use purge jets, just try some tests welds first. Purge jets can interact with your torch and accidentally suck air in between them in the turbulence.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

If the "failure" is in bending increasing the tube diameter 10% would increase the bending load limit about 33%.

If the failure involves buckling then the greater tensile strength of

4130 will not raise the buckling load.

Reply to
djtcz

"spektr" wrote. . .

Hey chassis god! I "manufactured" a gas welded QM chassis from 4130 this year ;-0 so Jim's back yard garage still runs a gas weld production line.

Interesting thread. A couple of related links.

for bender and notcher. Bender will handle up to 2" dia tubing and 1 1/2" square. I've used it to bend up to 1 1/8 with no trouble although Ernie's link at
looks very similar at quite a savings. . .

I've ordered 4130 through

and
with no trouble.

Chop saw will work great on 4130. I would not want to MIG a thin walled 4130 airframe but go with TIG or OA. I haven't seen 4130 angle but plate is relatively common - and quite expensive. Good luck!

Reply to
Jim

There is a BIG difference between an aircraft manufacturing facility and a guy wanting to build a one off frame. Take a look at the homebuilt airplane crowd, many of them are firmly entrenched in oxy/acy land, it works well for what they are doing.

JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken