Should I gloat ?

Got a very nice set of Victor two stage regs and a rather large cutting head/mixer from a friend today , hunnerd bucks . Got the torch for sale on Craigslist , since I already have one identical (but older) plus the small Smith's I use most of the time .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yes. Have them looked over by a reg shop, though.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I have had a set of Victor VTS-450 (450/460) for years. Great regulators. I had to have the seats replaced one time. You will find that those will hold their value well, and should last you a lifetime.

I just recently got a nice pair of Airco two stage heavy regulators and treated myself to a full rebuild, cosmetic as well as functional. While it's going to cost $86 per, to me it will be worth it, as I have a sentimental attachment to Airco stuff from the years I spend in Seattle's shipyards in my youth.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

These are the CSR 450/460 regs , single stage - I was wrong , and so was Bill . However , this is still a pretty good buy . These units look nearly new , the rubber boot on the oxy lever is still in excellent shape . Looks like the "set" goes for around five or six bills ... I'm asking 150 for the torch on craigslist , if someone here wants it , my reply-to addy is good . Make me a reasonable offer ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Those are still real nice regulators. Just not two-stage.

I wouldn't spend any money at all getting them "checked out" - just start using them. You'll notice right away if something's wrong.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

snip

nicely said, good luck

Reply to
Private

Yes, but with a caveat. If you've been around the industry for a while, you know what to watch for. Mainly, I'd caution you to use some spray soap, like Windex or a couple of drops of Dawn in a sprayer of water, and just spray all around once you have it all hooked up.

Take apart the major parts, such as body and mixing chamber and shake out dried o rings, dirt, cobwebs and spider skeletons.

And in order to hook it up:

Back off the T handles until they turn loosely or come out if they turn tight. Be suspicious if they turn tight.

Look at the gauges to see if all the numbers are at zero when no valves are open. If not, that's a problem.

Put on cylinders tightly. Spray soapy water.

Open up valve SLOWLY with gauge glass facing away from you. Open only quarter or half turn.

See what pressure it shows on the high side.

Come down slowly on T handles until needles on low side start coming up. If they don't, red flag.

Spray all around with soapy water.

If you got leaks, red flag and time to take it to a service man.

No leaks, try lighting and using the torch after you're sure you don't have any leaks.

When shutting down, close valves on torch. Close bottle valves. If needle pressures drop, red flag. They should hold pressure.

Open valves on torches with bottle valves closed. Needles should drop. If they don't, or stick, red flag.

If they all seem to work, just use them cautiously and keep an eye on them for a while.

You can do it quicker and easier by just hooking it all up and trying it, but I like to take it one leg of the stream at a time, so that if there is a leak, I find it before an ignition source does.

I ain't a fan for taking stuff in to have it "checked out" as a good geek can always find something wrong, or something to charge for. I also ain't a fan for visiting a burn ward.

Either as a patient or visitor. This stuff ain't rocket surgery.

But it can kill you.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks , Steve , and all . These look nearly new , and have been cared for - no corrosion , t-handles turn freely , dials all at zero , etc . My little bottles ain't gonna support that hoss of a cutter head , only got 40 cf oxy and a 'b' tank of Acetylene . I have no need of the torch anyway , got Dad's old one (just like it) in addition to a small Smith's rig . Right now I'm more interested in getting my new mill set up - I was building the stand when my old oxy reg failed .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

And I'd consider keeping both sets for those times when you need a little bigger. Torches and related items are pretty rugged, and good looking corrosion free no broken glass everything turning smoothly stuff is a good indication you can fire it up and run with it.

But I've seen stuff out of the box that had to be sent back, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well , I have no plan to sell the one that was my dad's ... but the one I picked up Sunday has no sentimental value , only monetary .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Any time I dispose of "stuff", I need it within three days.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB