Stick AC/DC?

Could any of you tell me what benefit AC / DC welders do over AC or DC only.
If I was to buy a hobbyist welder, what should I go for? Both AC /
DC or AC
or DC. Max would be 1/4" but mainly thinner. I do have a Miller 135 and O/A
at this time.
Reply to
Don D
The main reason you'd want AC capability in a stick welder is to fight arc blow (magnetic field induced arc wander). DC produces a better arc, and is preferred in all situations where arc blow isn't an issue.
Gary
Reply to
Gary Coffman
Could you tell me what arc blow is? not sure. Don D.
Reply to
Don D
Also thought the A/C provides a "cleaning" action on rusty weldments. Cost is also a factor. Personally, I prefer A/C where possible since I feel that I can get a narrower bead (in situations where that is advantages), and smaller HAZ, but thats just "me", I know others prefer D/C.
Reply to
Mr Wizzard
Well, I guess I may have to buy AC / DC anyway to cover both bases. Thanks for all the input from all of you. Don
Reply to
Don D