Using carbonator pump for TIG water cooler?

Or out of ice over the cold plate flash chiller. Warm soda is flat soda.

Carbonator pumps put out way more than 100 psi. That's the CO2 pressure in a carbonator tank that the pump must overcome to inject tap water, which is why you need a pump to start with (tap water being way less than 100 psi).

Richard J Kinch

Nice page Richard. Just curious. My tig torch and welder warn against pressure over 50 PSI. How can I limit it for my carbonator pump.

Ignoramus6607

I expect you'd need a bypass regulator, since the pump must need flow to stay cool, so a static (?) regulator wouldn't suit.

Or how about this: you could get a whole McCann's carbonator unit (pump, stainless pressure vessel, level switch) for about $200 or less on eBay, and pressurize it with 50 psi air instead of CO2, and then you'd have a stable 50 psi water out. And with a CO2 tank you could make soda after work.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

"Fountain" soda - aka the type in a cardboard 'milk like' container is without water and soda. That is flat. It is syrup. If a baby has colic or gas on the stomach - get some from the fountain people - just a pint or less - and put it in a baby bottle with water. Make it just like to drink - the baby will drink it and the soda will absorb the gas. Been there done it. Grew up in a family of 5 kids.

I used to have a cold plate - big chunk of Al - that is for sure. And a Green high pressure bottle. Gave them away - soon after they were dumped on my driveway. Some kids got it somewhere - and I bet it was hot. My kid was 6 months old so it wasn't him or his. :-)

The one I had from COKE - had a one way value on the gas tank - I suppose that prevents problems.

I call flat coke that sits in a glass or out of a can that falls on the floor and foams all over. Coke is coke - coffee is coffee - as long as it has water in it

- it is just fine to me.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Richard J K>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I see. What are these regulators called? I am not sure if my pump (which I have not yet received) has one already.

Do you have something that I can look at (item number etc)? I would love to make carbonated water.

Ignoramus26744

Search eBay using this term:

(mccann,mccanns) carbo*

Just now it turned up 11 units available there.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

This is the best idea. Forget the heat exchanger. Bolt it on the top of a reservoir for the return hose/pump intake, pressurize to desired flow rate and go welding.

Reply to
atypicalguy

Has anyone tried using a submersible pump like the ones in garden fountains? Waterproof and liquid cooled -

Put the pump into a large bucket of water/antifreeze then circulate it through the torch and back into the bucket.

Add an automotive heater core or small radiator into the loop if additional heat capacity is needed...

Carla

Ask your doctor if medical advice from a pharmaceutical company's television commercial is right for you.

Reply to
Carla Fong

It would not work, not enough pressure, you need a positive displacement pump.

Ignoramus15216

Having asked my TIG torch maker their reponse was you need a pump capable of delivering IIRC 60psi in order to get the flow through the small passage in the torch head. The pump has to be able to do that without having issues itself also.

Reply to
David Billington

Go to Lowes or a good hardware store and you can get 2" hose pumps. Everything from small to large. Use a sump pump - likes to run dry and turns off. Or a pond pump - not a tiny pump. I have one that shoots a stream out of the end of a 150' hose and I use it to dump out ponds that the rain fills a garden a foot or so full of water. I put in the feeder hose (regular hose) and plug it in.

So figure the gallon/min and plan on metric conversions.

Mart> >>> reply>>>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

If you're going to cheap out on the pump protecting your expensive TIG torch, at least invest in the fuse link setup the CK Worldwide folks sell that should save your torch and torch cable when your $30 special pump fails.

Reply to
Pete C.

Here! Hear! My fusible link in the TIG plumbing has saved my butt a couple times. Easy to replace, saved the torch leads, and I didn't have to take the ferry to the mainland in order to buy parts. Eric

Reply to
etpm