Using carbonator pump for TIG water cooler?

On 23/12/13 04:55, Carla Fong wrote:

Having asked my TIG torch maker their reponse was you need a pump capable of delivering IIRC 60psi in order to get the flow through the small passage in the torch head. The pump has to be able to do that without having issues itself also.
"Fountain" soda - aka the type in a cardboard 'milk like' container is without water and soda. That is flat. It is syrup. If a baby has colic or gas on the stomach - get some from the fountain people - just a pint or less - and put it in a baby bottle with water. Make it just like to drink - the baby will drink it and the soda will absorb the gas. Been there done it. Grew up in a family of 5 kids.
I used to have a cold plate - big chunk of Al - that is for sure. And a Green high pressure bottle. Gave them away - soon after they were dumped on my driveway. Some kids got it somewhere - and I bet it was hot. My kid was 6 months old so it wasn't him or his. :-)
The one I had from COKE - had a one way value on the gas tank - I suppose that prevents problems.
I call flat coke that sits in a glass or out of a can that falls on the floor and foams all over. Coke is coke - coffee is coffee - as long as it has water in it - it is just fine to me.
Martin
Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
Richard J Kinch wrote:

-
let me put my 2 cents worth in.
I use a 5 gal homedepot bucket ,filled with 4 gal.distilled water, lid on the top , the same carbonator motor you got sits on top of the lid. I was lucky on my e-bay purchase because the fella' sent me the rubber insulator feet and an aluminum motor base, so the motr is susspended nicely. Anyway...... it is bolted to the plastic bucket lid.
The pumps sucks up the water from the bucket, via a plastic hose, on the pump output side: I installed a "T" fitting , one side goes to the torch, the other side of the " T " is a hort hose goes back to the bucket at the nd of the hose is a simple compressor water drain style drain petcock. It's purpose ; it dumps about half the water volume and pressure. With the twist/adjustment of the petcock valve volume and pressure to the torch can be adjusted.
From the torch water return line, I installed 2 clear plastic hose one is slightly larger than the other, the larger hose is a short hose pushed through the bucket lid.
this way there is always air in this hose, the return water is pissing into this larger clear hose allowing me to see the water flow.
I don't know what pressure it runs at the torch, but there is plenty return water flowing. the torch head is always cool,
there is no cooler or fan in this system. I use a Thermal arc 185 TIG, the water in the bucket never got even remotely hot.
the 1/4 HP motor is semi quiet I can still hear the water splashing.
I will snap some picture if some of you want to see it. (let me know)
Great post Acrobat Ants. Yes, I would love to see [good] pictures. I do not quite visualize return water pissing. Otherwise, this is about the way I would want to have it. Do you keep it running all the time when the welder is on?

here it is ;
pic 1 : bucket, pump ,and return line
http://home.austin.rr.com/rideatv/pump2.jpg
picture 2 : "T" fitting on the feeder line, dump valve sits on top of the lid
http://home.austin.rr.com/rideatv/pump1.jpg
very simple setup , right now it is manual-switch operated ON-OFF I turn it off when I put the torch down.
acrobat

Very nice. Thank you. I will keep your post in my archive and will refer to it when I start working on my own cooler. Can you keep the pictures on your site, thanks.

I will keep it there for a while..... till some other pictures need room (and force it out of my 5MB space the ISP gives me. :)
see if you can copy it to your hard drive, or capture it as a snap shot. no worries tho........ it will be there for a while....
PS: added some notes to picture pump 1
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:12:25 GMT, Ignoramus21085

I saved them. Thanks. You can delete them whenever you want.
A quick question, what kind of hose did you use for high pressure side.
Do you plug your torch into the water coller itself (bypassing the solenoid on the welding machine)?
thanks

well .....as you can see that black hose is the torch water feed line which came with my torch, this hose connects directly to the "T" fitting which comes right out of the pump, so there is no hose in between. on the other side of the "T" 9the green hose to the dump valve) is just a plain vinyl hose, 1/4" or 3/8 I think.

yes , mine TIG does not have a water solonoid.

I see. Thanks. Do these carbonators have a built in relief valve? Sorry for an ignorant question.

Got it.
I would wire it through my solenoid and add a little water air pocket to prevent pressure spikes, I think. I will think about this very carefully.
Perhaps, if I wire it using a relay and proper signal, I can bypass the valve and pressure spikes entirely.
The plus is that it will run perhaps 99% less time if it is wired through a relay.
The minus is frequent starts, as gunner points out.

The one problem I see with the relay control is that when you stop welding, the torch isn't instantly cool. Yes, it's not welding but it's still hot. Wouldn't you want cooling whenever the torch is hot. I have a cooling fan on my computer set up this way so that I turn off the machine and then come by 5 minutes later or so and flick the switch that turns off the fans. I have measured the temp of the processor heatsink with an infrared thermometer, and if you turn everything off at the same time, the temp spikes just after the power is shut off.

Like I said, my welding machine has several 24V relay contacts. Each contact has a signal whenever a certain condition is true. For example, there is a contact that is on whenever the welder is on. Another contact is on whenever the welder is actually welding (supplies power).
Yet another contact is whenever the water valve is open. My Cyber Tig keeps the water valve open for a while after the arc is gone.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Welding/00-Hobart-CyberTig-Welder/
The manua for the Series 800 programmer, posted on that web page, explains the meanings of these 24v contacts.
I will probably use Jerry Martes's solid state relay to turn the pump on and off. Gunner made some points about reliability and relay being too complicated, but I am leaning towards thinking that it is not really that complicated.
I am planning on wiring the relay for my water pump, to the above contact. If the welding machine thinks water should be there (and open water valve), water will be supplied by the water cooler.
That makes sense now. The water flow behaves sort of like the argon pre and post flood.