Welding FAQ

I've seen the question come up quite often, "Where is the Frequently Asked Questions for this news group"?
So, at the urging of some of the 'regulars', I donated some server space and
got a page set up online at: www.WeldingFaq.com
I've been promised some very informative articles and as these come in, I'll add pages and post to the site. The menu allows many sub-topics so it should be easy to find whatever information is desired.
Feel free to email your tips, tricks, "how to's", success stories, "gotcha's", and any other welding or related metalworking information to snipped-for-privacy@WeldingFaq.com and be sure to include lots of photos to show all the details.
All articles will be posted with proper credit given to the author, so be sure to include your signature (or nickname as preferred).
I welcome your input, general comments, and any suggestions you might have.
Larry Wager www.WeldingFaq.com 'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Does it /have/ to use javascript? I had to turn on javascript and reload the page, crashed netscape. Not all browsers<people> use javascript. I am not bitching, just asking. In netscape 4.7 the page is a bit too wide, I only see half of the page and have to scroll over to see the other half.
I do appreciate your efforts and thank you for creating the site.
Thor

Yes, We're using JavaScript for the 'drop down' menu system. I anticipate many pages on various subjects and need the navigation to grow as content is posted. I plan to add more buttons (across the bar) and more subjects to the 'drop downs'(sub menus). This particular menu system supports a dozen 'sub menus' so I thought it would be ideal for this site.
Since JS has been supported on all the major browsers for the past few versions, I felt it was a good compromise. I too turn off JS to reduce popup ads on occasion and I realize some folks are still running older browsers. Please let me know if you experience any problems.

and have

I build it 800 by 600 and (based on your monitor) it should fit the width at that resolution. It was tested under IE 6 and Netscape 7. What resolution are you currently set at?

Thanks for your kind words. Do you have a story or article to contribute to the group?
If any of you other folks have difficulties with www.WeldingFaq.com please let me know some specifics: What is the difficulty? (page is too wide, or no navigation 'drop downs', or browser crashes, etc.) What platform and Operating System? (PC with Windows 98, or Mac with O/S 9, Unix, etc) Processor? (Pentium III 350, Motorola 700, etc) Browser? (Netscape 5, Internet Explorer 3, etc)
With this information I can duplicate the problem, troubleshoot and correct it.
I consider this 'your site' and hope you folks will feel the same. If you take the effort to type a 'write up' of that last project you fabricated (or any other such welding related story), I'll take the effort to incorporate that into a page and post it on the site. I know it's pretty clumsy to use the 'drop box' to post a story with photos and thought this would be a better solution.
Thanks,
Larry Wager www.WeldingFaq.com 'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'
and be sure to include lots of photos to show all the

have.
the
and have

Netscap 4.7 isn't fully javascript compatible. Upgrade to the latest version, which is 7.1. Its what I use.
John

I run at 800x600 screen resolution and 16bit (high color). I am using an older Scepter 14" monitor that actually displays full screen. Windos98SE PIII 933, 384megs of ram and a 20 gig drive partitioned up. Netscape 4.8 , not 4.7.
I have no real intentions on loading a monster of a web browser with its own operating system and language. My instal of windows lives on a 700 meg partition and netscape , or mozilla or most any "newer" browsers want to load 12+ megs of java on the windows drive no matter where I tell it to load. IE anything doesn't get to live on my computer. That is about as far as I am going in the browser debate that would likely be to follow.
I guess my point is suggesting a more utility type web site versus a flashy one. The site Mike had made up on www.metalmangler.com was utilitarian with pretty much just HTML, I don't recall any javascript. I beleive most any browser could load the old site with no troubles.
Frames, fine. Javascript that works , fine. Java, forget it. Again, I really can appreciate your efforts as I did look at the page source.
Thor

older
own
partition
megs of

doesn't
browser
flashy one.

pretty
could
source.
Does it seem to work ok on your system Thor?
So what I'm hearing is that you folks need some backwards compatibility? Then I can go to a simple HTML navigation that will support older browsers and operating systems.
Send me some content and as I group it by subject I'll rework the navigation. Right now there is only one page.
Larry Wager www.WeldingFaq.com 'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

older
own
partition
megs of

doesn't
browser
flashy one.

pretty
could
source.
Thor, Please see if this menu system runs on your system: http://premiumadvantage.com/support.htm The author claims compatibility with IE 4+ , NN 4.75+ (including 6.2) and Opera 5 +.
Thanks, Larry

That works MUCH better. One suggestion, change those blue letters to white maybe? OOPS!, had javascript turned off again,err. With javascript turned on the characters are white and not that hard to read blue on black.
I will try to get my camera out and take some pictures of my old old old craftsman buzz box that I put a 150 amp stinger on and a normal ground clamp, along with some of my "test" welds. Maybe that will encourage someone to try cutting up some spare metal and burn a few rods<G>. What size images and what type, jpg, gif? Do you want everything zipped? My stuff would most likely go under the topic for beginners.
Thank you for your efforts, Thor
wrote in message:

an
its
anything
browser
clamp,
try
I'll get it fixed- thanks for your inputs!
Larry
Thank you much....
    A lurker :)
--