Wild Idea

Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley .
The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both off
just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement pump I
bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled it down
yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain crap to begin
with .
And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump
might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG
welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the
two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the
repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back
enough .
Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this
work ?
--
Snag
out in