Wild Idea

Some time ago I managed to tip my compressor over , landed on the pulley . The pulley survived , but the connecting rods didn't . Snapped 'em both off just above the big end . Fast forward to now , and the replacement pump I bought is blowing oil ... from excessive blowby . I haven't pulled it down yet , but the rings have gotta be shot or broken of just plain crap to begin with . And this is where the wild idea comes in . The rods in the cheap pump might fit , or they might not ... and if they don't I'm thinking about TIG welding the broken ones back together . I can build a fixture to hold the two bearings in alignment . I'd be most worried about the temper of the repaired area , but a quick chill and a few days aging might get it back enough . Is this a waste of time , or do I stand a decent chance of having this work ? -- Snag out in the shop

Reply to
Snag's Shop

Well, you have two broken pumps. What do you lose by trying?

Reply to
John B.

And there you have it ! Replacement rods are about 22 bucks each , and I'm pretty sure I have a pair in another old pump - that's in Memphis Tn , 175 miles from here . Cost more in gas to go get 'em that new ones . Tis afternoon I'll explore my options , this morning I'm breaking out the leathers for a nice long ride on the motorcycle . -- Snag A guy's gotta have priorities !

Reply to
Snag

I though that you bikers wore sleeveless vests and dirty levis' :-)

Reply to
John B.

Only when it's hot . It was like 65 degrees when I left . I don't break out the long johns and 'lectric gloves until it's under 45 ... but the vest is always in the saddlebag . Repairs to the cheap pump didn't work so well . Today I'll try to TIG the busted rods . Likely A356 , and IIRC 4043 rod is recommended . -- Snag

Reply to
Snag

It is 08:52 and the temperature is 29.9 C (85.8 F) a nice, cool, overcast day :-)

Reply to
John B.