Are Prices Going Up For Metalworking Goods?

I do not buy very much new stuff for the shop since I have "most" of the tools I want and all the metal stock I need for now.

For those who do buy on a regular basis, are you seeing price increases occurring?

Have the prices of metals continued to increase or have they stabilized?

How about shipping costs?

The cost of new machines that a HSMer would buy?

Thanks

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

There goes the Republic...

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Lead and brass prices continue to rise rapidly. A box of 500 bullets that cost me $40.99 last summer is now about $63. Factory ammo with brass cases has similarly escalated, and doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Nah, some of us had the foresight to stock up a long time ago although mining the backstop for lead to remelt is starting to look attractive.

The price of lead and copper has got to the point that old ranges that get shut down due to encroachment might be self financing when doing remediation.

Wes

Wes

Well, it's good that you applied your skills at anticipating commodities futures to keep your lead supply up to snuff, Wes. I'm sure that will hedge your financial position very well. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Being paranoid about the nations changing political leanings has had a side benefit. ;)

Reply to
Wes

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:56:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Not if we all go out and stock up on reloading equipment and buy now, while it's still legal...

-- That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. -- Henry David Thoreau

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It sure would make some head-turning headlines: "US Economy Turns Up On Ammunition-making Sales: 'We're going to shoot our way out of this recession,' says Bernanke." (EU objects; cites environmental lead pollution)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

My reference was not to ammo, just bullets. Bullets are components of ammo. Ammo is an assembled entity consisting of bullet, brass cartridge case, powder (propellant) and primer or cap.

Ammo prices have increased comparably in recent months. 500 rounds of WWB (Winchester White Box) .45ACP target ammo is now $235.99 plus shipping at MidwayUSA, comparable per round at Wal-Mart without shipping but with local sales tax.

Possession of a considerable stockpile of ammo one is "too busy" to use in a recreational activity would be considered as evidence of mental instability, particularly in California. They'll probably collect your guns as well. Phew!

Ya can't sell it on EBay and responsible disposal could cost more than you paid for it, so you may as well just let the gummint collect it along with your guns when they come round.

Reply to
Don Foreman

This is why I pamper the 35 or so moulds I own.

And snag alloyed lead wherever I can.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 23:33:52 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Yabbut, it'd keep our EPA busy.