Building a heat teatment oven

Im interested in building a heat treatment oven for Aluminum. Can anybody give me some insight?

Reply to
Davey O

What do you want to do? Solution and age? Anneal? What grade(s) of aluminum. What sized parts?

Reply to
Mark

Have you googled old posts first? Been discussed before.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

thank you for responding. I would like to straiten Al "shafts" used in underwater spear fishing. The impact with the fish often causes the shaft to bend. I beleive the avenue I wish to follow is annealing. As far as grades I can not say because they vary. I have always wanted to build one of these; Maybe designed to accomodate other types of metals as well. Any suggestions or concerns? thank you. -Davey

Reply to
Davey O

thanks Lane. I have not googled ol posts but I will. Im new this but I hope I can navigate though and find it. Thank you so much. God Bless You and yours.

Davey O

Reply to
Davey O

Aluminum shafts for spear guns....never seen em. All I have ever seen were some el cheapo galvanized steel and the better ones were always stainless......I seriously doubt the impact of a spear hitting the fish is the problem if your bending spear shafts. Your tip is what is doing it. Are you using a fixed in place on the shaft tip or a slip tip. When you use a fix tip, and do not make a clean kill and work your way to the fish and grab the shaft, thats when it gets bent. A slip tip will penetrate through, and still be connected with a steel cable to the shaft forming a flexible portion, so bending of the shaft is not possible. I have speared some Greater Amerjacks in the 60 to 80 pound class with slip tips and a 5/16" shaft and never bent one as long as I used a slip tip. Before that I used to bend up a heap of shafts on every dive, when I used fixed tips.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy~

Would the equipment they use to re straighten arrows work ? Pretty common for archery , if so you might ask at a specialty store locally or search on line . Luck Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Thank you for your reply; your information is quite helpful. I am not a spear fisherman. The man who asked me to straiten his and other mens shafts is however. Im a welder. lol All I im actually interested in at this point is the correct information to straiten them out, For whatever reason they have been bent, they are bent and i would like to build an oven. I certainly am going to pass that info on to them. Do you have any advise for this fun project ahead of me? I would also like to use the oven for Ferrous materials as well. How feesable is that?

Reply to
Davey O

Thanks Ken! That seems a great idea to follow up on. I will do that.

Reply to
Davey O

An arrow straightener is nothing more than two v blocks, a lever in the center to apply force, and a dial indicator.

You can make a decent one in a couple hours start to finish.

Gunner

Gunner

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner wrote back on Mon, 04 Apr 2005 06:37:04 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

A Drill Collar straightener is the same thing, only on a larger scale.

(Drill collars - 31 feet of SS, 4 to 8 inches in diameter, used by drilling outfits for something. I just made 'em.)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Collars were used to hold the drill bit from wandering so they can hit a targeted location . Been a long time for me but I doubt it has changed . Darned things were some heavy I remember that . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Clunk, the penny drops "Oh,yeah, now I see..."

Thanks. Like I said, I just made em for three months, never really thought about it further.

Kind of like the story of the salesman who came into a shop, asked to she the guy in charge, and while waiting, asked "so what do you make here?" and when told "we make gears" he said "I thought you just bought them."

(Here's your sign.)

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Hi Ken. Do you think a drill collar would work in straitening out these shafts? Im still very interested in the oven though. If you have any more info Id love to hear it. Thanks so much!

Reply to
Davey O

\

Drill collars are extra extra heavy pipe intended to add weight to the drill string, and add some stiffness so it doesnt wander. Its also used as something of a safety device in exceptionally high gas fields. It helps keep the drill string in the ground if you hit a gas pocket, rather than squirting 10,000 feet of heavy steel pipe out the top of the derrick and winding it around the country side (not a pretty sight and will make you both shit and piss your pants while running like a somebitch away as fast as you can)

A "whipstock" is what is used to direct the drill string off to the side. Under some homes for example, where you cant drill straight down.

Or under the neigboring country to steal their oil

Gunner

Gunner