Myford dividing attachment

G'Day, I have a Myford dividing attachment that I got with my Super7 when I bought it . I was wondering if anyone has made a base plate or similar to enable the attachment to be used on a milling machine .

I was thinking of a base that would allow the attachment to swivel in the vertical plane to about 45deg. Mounting the head could be either by the 1" bar that supports the tail centre or the side plate fixture that it used to fix the attachment to the lathe cross slide.

Got a few rough sketches on paper but if some one has already done this I would hate to re-invent the wheel.

I have a Taiwanese mill similar to Graham Howes' mill

that mine is floor mounted rather than on a bench and thought it would be cost effecvtive to make a base plate mounting for the Myford attachment rather that buy another dividing head.I'm sure the Myford attachment would be sufficient for my needs. I've never put it to use on the lathe .

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Obviously not.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Kevin, I cannot give a direct answer to your question because I guess that the the worm attachment is geared( sorry) to the bull wheel in the S7 headstock. However, both George Thomas writing in Workshop Techniques and Jack Radford writing in his Lathe Improvements used the principles and I guess lots of the bits from the Myford. So you have Thomas with both a minature headstock unit for his S7 and virtually the same bits in a separate casting which was suitable not only for the mill but also on the S7's saddle and the verticle slide. Probably buying the GHT book and refering to the HemingwayKits catalogue will give you some idea of what you are seeking- and save me from going on in some sort of explanation.

Casting eyes to heaven and you buying or making a 60 tooth wheel, you COULD use all the Myford bits on a unit along the lines of the Thomas Versatile Dividing Head.

Oddly, I have the Thomas VDH, a Vertex DH and tailstock-- and am mak> Kev> > G'Day,

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thanks for your reply .

This is the Myford attachment not the GT one that fits to the lathe head stock. My idea was to just make a mounting base to use the Myford dividing attachement on the mill . After a bit of messing about ,racking the brain trying to figure some thing out . I came up with this and it amazes me how I overlooked this in the first place ,I mean thew answer was right in front of me.

I removed the 3/8" locating dowels from the base of the Myford vertical milling slide attachment , machined two new locating dowels to fit the table slots on the mill . I can fit the Myford dividing atttachment driectly to this by way of the tee slot bolt on the dividing attachment .This will allow angular adjustment in the vertical plane ,and also in the horizontal plane . I can wind the table down so it rests on the top of the mill table to give some support.Possibly a machinists jack under the other end of the dividing attachment for support of the over hanging tail center support bar,or remove the bar all together as it won't be used for this application.

The reason I'm doing all this is I'm making an adjustable micrometer dial for the Myford milling slide as it has the older mazak fixed type dial, and this is to engrave the markings. This is the first time in around 35 years I have used a dividing head and much of what I learned in my trade has to be drawn from deep within the memory bank of my soggy brain.I haven't worked in my trade for many years I recal making a special spiral fluted reamer and cutting some gears ,but the finer points are lost .

Hemmingway has some very good kits. I would love to get a Hemmingway kit for the VHD , but the cost to get one here from UK is very high and the exchange rate with the AUD is not good either.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Bluey, I can , however, give you direct answers on the following:-

GHT DID give the drawings on the castings for the VDH so that people who were finding difficulties in obtaining 'official ones' could get them locally. So these are in Workshop Techniques. Again, WM has the Universal Pillar Tool words and music. This has been fabricated many times and I once had one.

The vertical slide dials replacement( using that for the ML7) is in GHT's Model Engineers Workshop Manual- and YOUR dividing head is suitable for the divisions.

Unquestionably, anyone with a S7 should have both books- and maybe JAR's

H> ravensworth2674 wrote:

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Snipped

Thanks for the info Norman very helpful. Yes you are right its about time I spent some money on some good books. Seems I don't have the correct dividing plate to get 100 divisions ,I have plates 1 & 2 for the Myford attachment .I need one with 15 , 20 or

65 holes according to a MS Excel calculator , I picked up off the web some where. My plates have 91,77,49,45,38,34,32, & 47,4643,42,41,37,31,29.

I under stand the ML7 dial is suitable and is the standard conversion I was going to make it the same as the S7 , but I should get the book as I don't know if there are differences between the ML7 and the S7 dials.

I set up the dividing attachment on the mill today as I described and it is very rigid so it looks like it will be ok.

Thanks for your help .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Thanks for the info Norman very helpful. Yes you are right its about time I spent some money on some good books. Been too busy buying tools and stuff

I under stand the ML7 dial is suitable and is the standard conversion I was going to make it the same as the S7 , but I should get the book as I don't know if there are differences between the ML7 and the S7 dials. I got a quotation for a Genuine Myford ML7 dial from the Myford agents here in Oz but it was around $120AUD plus postage and a a very long delivery time.

I set up the dividing attachment on the mill today as I described and it is very rigid so it looks like it will be ok.

Thanks for your help .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Bluey, Glad to help! Err, the 100 T problem??? Another senior moment, perhaps? We all get them- or should I say, I do?

The divisions quoted by GHT are :-

Number 100 needs a 50, a 30 and a 60 set of change wheels.

Of course, you need the do-dah bracket but if you went off the back of the mandrel with a spigot and a 50 tooth gear, you index off the top of each tooth and the between each tooth. And voila, me old sport, which is the way the old watchmakers did their thing.

I have no doubt that you will say 'Sh1t' Now why don't yer sort of ask an even older old fart for a few pages on norman(at)n-atkinson.wanadoo.co.uk?

Cheers

Norm > > Bluey,

Reply to
ravensworth2674

In article , "Kevin(Bluey)" writes

Your 45 hole plate will stand in very well for 15 holes! Just use every third hole.

As Norman said, get the book, it is excellent, and has details of improved dials for ML7 and S7. If you work through just a quarter of the ideas in it, you will learn a whole lot (I know I did).

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

It's even simpler than that. the formula for any division on the Myford head is 60 over the number needed so we have 60 / 100 = 6 /10 = 3/5 So any number divisbale by 5 is needed. You have a 45 so 45/5 = 9

9 * 3 = 27

so every 27 holes on the 45 circle will give you a 100th of a turn

John S.

Reply to
John S

Snipped

Have all the change wheels except the 21T ones , but lathe has a screw cutting gearbox obviously fitted after the intial purchase by the previous owner as the lead screw support bracket that goes under the head stock was amoungst the stuff I got when I bought the lathe. Certainly have my senior moments , often spend time looking for tools and items I had in my hand moments before.

Thought about doing it in the lathe ,but I would need to make up a spindle mandrel first , no biggie ,just need to spend the time to do it. Just add it to the long list of other tools and stuff I'm wanting to do . The other option is to make up a bracket to mount the dividing attachment directly over the bull gear on the spindle which is 60T . I realise that this has been done by GHT and Westbury I think.And looks like it is a simple job of making a couple of brackets.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)