AMA Survey

I already stated that I like the magazine above, but I'll go on record here in this little poll to say I'm for the magazine.

Wiz

James Beck wrote:

Reply to
Mike Wizynajtys

jim breeyear

Try this one.

Happy Flying,

Mike

Mike

You're going to pay one way or another. The AMA has to publish a newsletter and distribute it to all its members. It's Federal law. So, you either get a 100+ page glossy magazine that's largely funded by advertising, or a 42-page copier-paper newsletter that's completely funded by the membership.

I know our club can't publish a 6-issue, 6-page newsletter and mail it for $7 per member per year, yet the AMA manages to send you 12 issues of a 100+ page glossy magazine for the same amount...

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Trying to find our last survey Red - I'll ping you when I do.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I don't read 100% of the magazine, but I do enjoy the articles.

I vote to keep the magazine

Don Hatten AMA #SOARDOG (AMA member off and on for 35 years)

Reply to
Don Hatten

Reply to
Mike Gordon

I like the mag. At least it attempts to cover all aspects of the hobby. I may not read everything but every now and again I find something in the free flight or control line section I can use in RC. I say keep it.

AMA 325784. Jim W.

Reply to
Black Cloud

So far not a single negative, and from this group that's something ;) Quite an elite groups of modelers you hang out with.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Mathew

I agree with your comments, except the part about MA being paid for by advertising.

The fact of the matter is that advertising pays next to nothing to offset the cost of MA. If you look at the most recent financial statement, page 16, you will find the advertising costs are $771,740. If you look at page 3, you will find MA's income from advertising is $851,032 for a net income of $79,292. This is an area that deserves looking into by the AMA. On that same page 3 we find the total direct costs of MA are $1,900,641.The cost of MA is almost exclusively subsidized by the membership.

Still... at only $6-$7 a year per member it's a bargain.

Reply to
J_R

I like the Mag very much! I do NOT want to lose it! I know of no fellow modeler who thinks it's a rag! RCM has become a catalog and not much else. AMA Mag at least gives us some 'meat'.

Reply to
jeboba

Advertising rates are based on the number of people who subscribe (or are forced to subscribe) to a magazine. If the AMA offered the choice of MA magazine or not with a membership, and half declined the magazine, what would happen to the advertising rates the AMA could charge?

In these days of "instant news", most all magazine sales are declining due to the "lead time" delay needed for glossy print publications to get to the reader. Three or more months is a long time to wait for news when it's available on the internet or TV instantly.

Happy Flying,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Unless I take my laptop into the bathroom with me, I can't read an online magazine while doing my business. And the bathroom isn't big enough for a TV.

I know, "TMI= Too Much Information"...but I don't believe I'm the only one who reads while on the can.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

In the case of MA, this is not true. MA has over double the circulation of any other model mag, yet the rates are the same or less than all the others.

Reply to
J_R

Don,

I agree. But don't you wish those MA pages were a lot softer?

Happy Flying,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Oh, of course! Imagine being able to flush every magazine you get instead of throwing them in the trash.

I think you're on to something, Mike.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Don,

I'm with you. Lets lobby for a fully biodegradable version.

MA has it's place of honor around here on the fireplace mantle.

The kids just love those pretty rainbow colors in the flames.

Happy Flying

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Didn't I hear somewhere that MA charges half of what others charge for adverts? Or was it the other way around?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

MA, MAN and RCM were all fairly similar in proces per look.

The real value is in RC Report. Good prices and much more sophisticated readers.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"A LOT SOFTER?"

I love it, I love it! Best comment I heard so far.

JIB

Mike wrote:

Reply to
John Berk