AMA Survey

I'm a member (34 years) and I read it cover-to-cover. I enjoy reading about facets of modeling that I don't do, personally, but would enjoy watching.

John Agnew

Reply to
John R. Agnew

I'm a 'reader' of mags.....and I look forward to the next issue o

MA....there is always something new to learn (or NOT to learn as wa demo'ed in this past issue - the one with the tach's....)

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

I enjoy MA magazine because it covers all aspects of model aviation. It has really improved within the last several years and hold its own against some of the other publications, though I do think that R/C Report is still the best of the lot. Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng

Gary, Still not a single "the magazine is a rag and the AMA should stop forcing me to pay for it" response. How do you explain such a discrepancy between what you stated and what we have seen?

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

| In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com | says... | > I find that hard to believe. Most AMA members I know also think the magazine | > is a rag and the AMA should stop forcing me to pay for it. | | Still not a single "the magazine is a rag and the AMA should stop | forcing me to pay for it" response. How do you explain such a | discrepancy between what you stated and what we have seen?

I agree with you here, but I think once was enough.

No point in rubbing his nose in it repeatedly.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I know, just giving him an update. Besides, it was a pretty strong statement on his part. Remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

| In article , snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com | says... | > In article , | > James Beck wrote: | > | > | In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com | > | says... | > | > I find that hard to believe. Most AMA members I know also think the magazine | > | > is a rag and the AMA should stop forcing me to pay for it. | > | | > | Still not a single "the magazine is a rag and the AMA should stop | > | forcing me to pay for it" response. How do you explain such a | > | discrepancy between what you stated and what we have seen? | > | > I agree with you here, but I think once was enough. | > | > No point in rubbing his nose in it repeatedly. | | I know, just giving him an update. Besides, it was a pretty strong | statement on his part. Remember, extraordinary claims require | extraordinary proof.

Not on Usenet. On Usenet a little hand waving is usually sufficient, though the true trolls usually don't even get that far.

Actually, I'd meant to send that via email. I noticed my mistake immediately, but it was too late, and while I did send out a cancel, most servers don't accept them anymore anyways. Oh well.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

That's easy. The AMA fan boys are a vocal minority and the majority of us don't give a shit.

Reply to
ill

There are some of us that like the magazine. Over the years I have learend a lot from it. Even though I fly only RC, there have been a lot of little gems I gleaned from the other forums in that magazine.

If you don't like the magazine, just say so and let it go.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Don't you find that complaints are handed out more readily than compliments? Take your response for example. With the regular amount of AMA bashing that goes on around here wouldn't you expect those (members)that really felt the way Gary's friends do to speak up quite vocally? Also, the subject line CLEARLY says "AMA" if you don't give a shit don't read the thread.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Maybe you're not an American. I am. I can read or post anything I wish to and you can't do a damm thing about it.

Reply to
ill

Apparently you care a LOT more than you indicated. I was giving advise not instructions. YOU were the one that stated you didn't give a shit and yet you go on and on about the subject. This is a public forum and you are welcome to read and comment on what you wish, but you look like a bit of a dumb ass when you profess your indifference to a thread and yet can't stop your involvement in it.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Your handle says it all. AND you ugly too.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Off the topic of the Survey, here are some "MODEL AVIATION" items that may or may not interest you.

Model Aviation has LOST almost a million dollars each year (in the audit reports) of 2002 and 2003. Outside subscription (non member) income in 2003 was some $11,000 less than '02. The advertising income increased by $48,000 yet the amount of in-mag advertising has increased by a significantly much larger % amount. The low cost of the advertising is evidenced in the significant amount of income tax reduction in 2003.

received exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Academy is, however, subject to unrelated business income tax on magazine subscriptions and magazine advertising. The unrelated business income tax expense for the years ended December 31, 2003 and 2002 was $105 and $5,950, respectively.The Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. (the "Academy" was incorporated in 1966 under the laws of the District of Columbia. The Academy's primary objective is to promote the educational and scientific aspects of model aviation.

Reply to
CainHD

Great f***ing attitude. YOU are the reason Americans are held in such high regard all over the world.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

HC

Your analysis sounds good, lacking any input or comments from DB on the subject. DB can't be as successful as he seems to be with Dave Brown Products and not have developed some business savvy along the way. One has to question how much of it he has applied to the management of AMA "business". If he has, then surely there is some clarification due to the membership on where your analysis is flawed.

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 Dist. V

significant

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Pete Kerezman posted message IDon Tue, 10 Aug 2004

14:10:46 -0500

That was unkind of you, TexAss Peet. Have you nothing to offer the group other than your lame insults?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You got that nailed! I'm also old and grumpy.

Reply to
ill

Dont like MA. Never did. Dont care about: Control Line Free Flight Soaring AMA Nats of any kind etc...

I do like the pictures of other members' planes in the Focal Point section and the contest calendar in the back. Those are about the only redeeming qualities I can think of.

I just like to fly and I'm an AMA member because I have to have the membership to fly at my club. The insurance coveraged stinks too.

I dont care about the new facility or the museum in Muncie. I'll never have the opportunity to fly there or visit (I have to work for a living!)

I dont like the fact that district VP's get a multi-thousand dollar travel budget that I have to help pay for.

I would not buy the mag if I was not forced to. I guess it boils down to this: I dont like subsidising activities that I derive little or no benefit from.

Dont I sound like an old fart? (at 40!!!!)

Jim

Reply to
fenderjw

Gee, Jim, don't you just HATE paying for all those roads you will never travel? Or all the National Parks you will never see? Or all the clean water you will never drink? Virtually everything you spend money on pays for things you will never use. But you STILL derive benefit from it even if it isn't direct.

View this thread:

Paul McIntosh