F-27 Stryker--I can't see already read threads so made a new one.

Looking for a hop up site for the F-27 stryker, I asked once already and was pointed to a Forum that wasn't really what I was looking for, already been reading it for a few days and hasn't really helped me much. The people there don't really want to help me because I am new to flying, they want me to get a few years experience before they help me hop up a plane.

I was looking for something similar to this Traxxas Stampede/Rustler site I found but for the Parkzone Stryker.

Scotty

Not sure what you want to know about the Stryker but I bought one as a first plane/first electric having flown (sort of!) a Raptor 30 heli for a few years. It cost me £140 ($240), I took it out the box, stuck the nose on, slotted the fins on and flew it first time on beginner setting no problem at all. Was able to do loops and rolls easily and just had a problem landing it - but the all foam construction saved that. I think it looks brilliant in the air and has a good turn of speed together with close to 10 mins airtime per charge. It needs a good chuck to launch it to prevent it "mushing" and don't be tempted to trim out the nose-up attitude it adopts 'cos if you do the plane will nose down when the motor stops, leading to a hasty landing! The only down side is that the supplied charger takes almost an hour to recharge the battery but a couple of batteries would solve that problem and in any case it gives you a chance to get your breath back! Also you have to remember that it is just a large lump of foam so it can only be flown in a very light wind. Hope this helps - buy one, you'll love it - for that kind of money you can't go wrong.

Reply to
wrote8

No sites like that. The best thing is to look through/search the archives for those threads you've already seen. From memory, straight from stock,

  1. Get a new charger (and either higher mAh packs or 8 cells)
  2. do the cosmetic/practical upgrades (nose rubber band/hatches/engine mount reinforcement)
  3. upgrade engine to BB (can't remember the site off hand).
  4. Replace electrics
  5. Brushless motor, balsa elevons, wing reinforcement.
  6. Lipos (don't touch until you really know what you're flying).

Ken.

Reply to
Dr KC

I'm thinking of buying just a fuselage and building it from scratch since it seems most ppl recomend replacing the motor battery and servos anyway. The forums are not too clear on how to reinforce the motor mount area, other than a picture of it after it was done. I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

Reply to
Scotty

Scotty,

Many will say not to get a Stryker as a 1st plane. I will admit it' not as easy to fly as a 3 Ch. trainer. It's pretty fast. Tell me som more about you, have you ever flown before. I'd be happy to help if can.

CT

-- crash test dumm

----------------------------------------------------------------------- crash test dummy's Profile:

this thread:

crash test dummy

No, I've never flown before just ran with the cars and trucks in the past. I don't forsee any problems, 3 of the guys at the LHS have a Stryker and all have reccomended it to me as my first plane. I figure at 20 bucks a fuse I can easily afford a few crashes.

Reply to
Scotty

I say GO FOR IT! It was my second plane. THe 1st was a GWS Slow Stick

Did you want to go brushless? That will require a few [HAHA!!] bucks.

CT

-- crash test dumm

----------------------------------------------------------------------- crash test dummy's Profile:

this thread:

crash test dummy

It's been my first plane too. Plenty of crashes, but still in the air. Great fun. Just don't get Lipos to start with.

Reply to
Dr KC

If this is your first, be careful with the "hop up" you do. You don't want brushless yet. I would recommend the stock 480 or BB equivalent.

  1. Get a flight pack. You'll need a Tx that does aileron mixing.
  2. Motor mount reinforcment depends upon the engine/speed. With a standard
480 motor you don't need anything more than some tape around the stress areas. If you don't know where these are, it shouldn't hurt to find out the hard way. With a brushless setup, some thin ply and wing reinforcement would be required.
  1. A loose fixed nose will reduce need for #2.
  2. Stock batteries are fine for the 480, but you can get cheaper/higher capacity 8.4v Nimh elsewhere. You only need to upgrade batteries when you've got some experience and upgrade the motor.

If you look through the threads on RCuniverse and RCgroups you'll find everything you need.

Reply to
Dr KC