Flaperon help with JR XF421

I've got a hotliner sailplane I'm getting ready to put in the air. Another club member had one like this and said it was hard to get it on the ground. So, I thought to myself - I'll use the flaperon mix available in my XF421 TX to help with that problem.

Uh, well, right, maybe. dang, that's a problem in itself !

Basis for discussion:

Ailerons are mechanically and electrically centered before flaperons enabled. Left aileron = aux channel, right aileron = aileron channel.

For those not familiar, the ~ symbol is used for 'approximately".

Enable flaperons in TX and results are:

Both ailerons are down ~same amount.

Move stick right - right aileron moves up to ~neutral. left aileron does not move. Move stick left - right aileron does not move. left aileron moves up to ~neutral.

Flip Aux switch to other position:

Both ailerons are up - left more than right.

Move stick right - right aileron up slightly. left aileron down but not to neutral. Move stick left - right aileron down past neutral. left aileron up slightly.

Interesting is 'travel adjustment' ! In normal mode, I have +/- 100% on both Ail and Aux. But when I turn flaperons on, I get +/- 100% on Aux, but get +100% on Ail only at full left stick !

I spent an hour fiddling with ATV and electronic centering, but never got equal travel on both ailerons, or got rid of end binding on the left side.

So, from which position do I try to neutralize and set travels. I'm looking for 'spoileron' operation, which should be merely the opposite of 'flaperon'.

Anyone out there with an XF421 with ideas?????????

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

I'm having the same problem with my XF421. I'm setting up a plane t

have flaperons and have run into the same problem. Did you ever figur out how to set them up? I messed with mine for 2 hours yesterday an still couldn't get them to swing the same amount

-- cains

----------------------------------------------------------------------- cainst's Profile:

this thread:

cainst

use the gear slot of your reciever for the left aileron not th

aux1........I have XF421 with a r610m........I think the problem i the radio is a 5 channel radio but the aux1 on the r601m is the 6 t channel...... if you count them the gear is the 5 t channel.......works great for me........all the sites I have searched refer to the aux1 for the other aileron servo.....there is a grea thread i found on how to set up the flaperons.....I'll try to attach i

-- superhea

----------------------------------------------------------------------- superheat's Profile:

this thread:

superheat

try this site....it's explains very well the flaperon se up...........if you are using the XF421 just sub the word "gear" fo "flap'.....and you should be ok......lets us know how you made ou ...don't forget to plug your left servo into the gear slot

-- superhea

this thread:

superheat

Superheat,

Thanks for the info. I already had the left servo in the gea position. I'm able to get the flaperons to work as long as I leave th alieron throw at 100%. If I adjust the throw it only affects the righ alieron. So, I've left the throws at 100%. I will read the post tha you included to see what else i can do.

Thanks again, Steve

-- cains

this thread:

cainst