Glitchy Receiver

Andrey,

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

Reply to
Jim Lilly

| Yet for some reason people praise 'Berg's for being glitch free, even | though 'Berg's are single conversion receivers.

Most JRs are single conversion too, yet they work just fine.

Ultimately, here's the lowdown on single conversion vs. double conversion for you, as simple as I can make it :

single conversion: some are bad, some are OK, and some are better. double conversion: just about all are OK or better.

Hitec Feather = really bad, single conversion. GWS 4P (and similar) = bad, single conversion. Most PPM JR receivers = OK, single conversion Most PPM Futaba receivers = OK, dual conversion Most PPM Hitec receivers = OK, dual conversion Berg receivers = better, single conversion FMA receivers = better, dual conversion Most PCM JR receivers = better, single conversion (?) Most PCM non-JR receivers = better, dual conversion

Got it? :)

The `Bad' receivers tend to have bad range, and tend to glitch if anybody else is flying nearby, even on different channels.

The `OK' receivers have good range, and generally only glitch if there is direct interference (on the same channel, or only 10 kHz away like might be caused by a pager tower.)

The `Better' receivers have good range, and generally do not glitch at all because they discard invalid frames. They are still affected by direct interference like the `OK' receivers, but they handle it better.

(Of course, I'm ignoring receivers made before 1991 here because they may not be `narrow band'.)

And the real kicker is that the `better' FMA and Berg receivers cost less than the `OK' Futaba and JR receivers, and about the same as the `OK' Hitec receivers.

And why are you saying 'Berg? Is Berg supposed to be a contraction for something? The guy who makes them is named Peter Berg -- seems like the name should just be "Berg".

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The Berg rx's are single conversion but have some kind of additional signal processing built in. I have used my older version Berg 6 rx in a couple of planes, one of which was doing slope combat in a complete furball with no signal probs whatsoever. I would use FMA rx's in my small planes but they add $25-$30 more if you want them in the 50mhz band. Seems a rip-off to me!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I'd like someone to come fly a Berg at our field and see how glitch-free it is there ! I flew a JR at our field twice, got glitched both times, and almost lost the plane the second time - at

15' altitude just over the runway on approach, the plane suddenly got full left aileron and full up elevator. Talk about pucker factor ! Put in a Hitec 555 - no more problems. Another member almost lost his heli when his JR PCM locked him out for about 2 seconds. We have had several others have JR singles have severe glitches. We now reccommend 'no single conversion receivers'.

Give me a double c>The Berg rx's are single conversion but have some kind of additional signal

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Every glitch you mentioned included "JR". There seems to be a pattern there...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Who else besides JR makes main-line single conversion receivers (other than the Berg that was mentioned?) ?

I fly a Hitec Sky Scooter with an AM single conversion receiver at the field - it gets hits constantly until I get it up about 300' looking for thermals. Last time I flew it, I ended up going about 100 yds across the runway to retrieve it - it was glitching so bad I could not get it back near the runway!

The guys flying foamy 3D and similar airplanes with small single converts know to keep them close !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

I had the same problem with Futaba receivers. Sold em all! About 15 of em and went to Hitec. No more problems!

Reply to
jim