Grain direction of balsa and ply??

Vaction is coming up for me, so I decided to build a fokker d8 from plans only ( 40" span, brushless geared motor ). I noticed grain direction plays an important role. Any suggestions inwich direction the grain should run in critical areas of the plane would be helpfull.

Ty for any info Mike

P.S. Hope everyone who reads this had a wonderfull weekend....... :-) And anyone coming to WWII Weekend June 4th,5th, @ 6th at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading Pa. Hope you have a wonderfull time

Reply to
Mike R.

The plans should show grain direction. If not, then the long grain should run along the line where the most strength is needed. Shear web grain always runs vertically. The ply we use can be 5 ply or 3 ply. The surface grain is the "long grain". Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

The plans should show the correct direction for critical areas. GENERALLY, you want the grain to run in the longest wood dimension except for specific applications like shear webs.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

How's about an update on the Widow when you get a chance ?

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Thanks for the info Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

TY for the info Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Will get some pics and avi.......will gladly send them. (although I might be to busy droolling over the P-38 Lightning :-) ) Nice thing about working at my cemetery which is only 4 mil.from RRA is that I get to see all the planes in the air.....guess they use the cemetery as some type of landmark. Just yesterday I was cutting grass and saw a shadow cross under me.....very big shadow...looked up and saw B-17.....preeettty damm impressive!

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.