Grid Leaks

Can anybody help.

Some time early in 2006, I came across an on-line source of the old "Grid Leaks" magazine and downloaded several of them. I'd like to get the whole set, but now cannot find that website. (!)

Do you know what it is?

Thanks and regards,

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:24:24 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Barry Lennox instead replied:

Barry,

Would this be the site you lost:

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Look up the KCRC club in Kansas City. They have a website with contact info. Some of the members are old enough to remember Paul, and they might even have some of the old magazines. I came across a few copies when I liquidated Tom Runge's RC collection a few years ago, but they're gone now.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

OK, Thanks, I have done that.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Where is Frank Schwartz? He used to be a regular contributor, IIRC.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
ecregger

Here's Frank Schwartz...Unfortunately in a move some years ago all my copies of Grid Leaks were lost. Yes, I was a contributor to the publication from time to time...and I was well acquainted with Paul Runge as we worked together with the Boy Scout National Organization before he started Ace Radio...eons ago. And I worked with his son Tom along with Fred Marks on the AMA Frequency Committee. Tom passed away and ACE was sold to the Hitec folks. Fred is still going strong with FMA company. A great electronics designer and Fred confided to me that his son is better!!! It is possible that Tom Campbell, who sells old r/c magazines might have some copies of Grid Leaks. His table will be right next to mine in Perry GA at the 2008 event. snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com I also have a buddy here in the Nashville, TN area who has almost every issue of R/C Sportsman, in case anyone is interested. Regards to all... Frank Schwartz... coming up on 82 years..still building and flying after 72 years of sheer happiness......

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Ray,

No, sorry, it's not that. That's the Houston Vintage Radio Assn.

The "real" Grid leaks (to us modellers) was a magazine published by Paul Runge in the 1960's

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Try

or
Dan Thompson

Reply to
IFLYJ3

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 03:54:12 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and IFLYJ3 instead replied:

Neither of those links worked. Are you sure they're correct?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:13:43 +0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Ray Haddad instead replied:

Never mind, Dan. Looks like the server is temporarily down for maintenance. I'll try again later.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Hi Frank,

I did not realize you were 82! My, but the things you have seen....what a wealth of knowledge. I wish I lived closer : (. I did not appreciate my grandparents as I should have when they were around.

Chris

Reply to
Peavey_HP_Signature_Guy

There are lots of us old foggys around, and we love to pass on anything of merit that you might need. Some of us are younger than Frank by a few years but can relate quite well to modeling of his era. We also flew escapements, galloping ghost (not successfully), reeds, analog proportional and $600 digital when we were still lucky to be making 5 figures a year. Frank may be fudging on his age to attract the more mature chicks.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

There is usually a pretty good selection of old magazines at the swap meet at the AMA convention in January. Check that out early if you are going, if not have someone look on your behalf. Sellers there do tend to be a bit pricey. Earle

Reply to
Earle

The Grid Leaks archive is at

BIG .pdf files that take a while to down load but well worth it.

- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Yes, that's it. Thank you.

There's a couple of problems, the site is down a few times, and the later issues are huge PDF files, around 50-80 Mb each. Still great stuff though.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

No only are they huge, (at least the later ones) but something is also very slow there. They seem to take about 4-5 x as long as other files of similar sizes.

Still, I have about half them now, I can just go and do a bit more building while another downloads.

Very interesting material. And for those that did not know, Phil Kraft's original "Das Ugly Stik" plan and article is in Vol 7 No 3.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:19:09 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Barry Lennox instead replied:

You and every other mother's son, I expect. This probably has a bit to do with why it's slow. Eventually, those downloads will exceed the poor site owner's bandwidth and may cost him a bit extra.

Such is life on the World Wide Web.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

I'm not sure about that, It's possibly a little slower at the moment as this thread has probably "exposed" it. But I originally stumbled across it sometime back, and it was very slow then.

Reply to
Barry Lennox