Love those new LiPo cells?

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Keeping in mind that my mind is like a pan of scrambled eggs these days - I'm not so much worried about the folks that buy these packs on their own and then use them in a model and who have taken it upon themselves to become educated in their proper use.

What worries me are the folks that buy an RTF model and who have absolutely no idea of the consequences of leaving these cells on charge unattended. I do not think that a written set of instructions with warnings is adequate for what can turn into a fatal fire.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

That is a VERY valid point and unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who will do just what you say - buy an RTF, chuck it on the charger and walk away.

However, people need to accept responsibility for their own actions and regardless of whether they feel the necessity of doing so, they should read any and all docs that come with the model and/or its accessories. What would you suggest as adequate "warning" (for lack of a better term) for these things?

I'm probably well in the minority, but I read instructions manuals etc as soon as I open the packaging for a new "thing" be it an RC model or a new toaster oven. I also read every word of every contract I sign (Which really irritates the notaries when I buy a house. heheh) to make sure I know what's up.

Do LiPos make me nervous? Sure.. I've seen the videos and pics of what happens when they let go, but knowing the potential, I take precautions. I don't charge inside, the batteries are charged on a non flammable surface (most often a large cast iron pan) my fire extinguisher is always within easy reach and I check on the battery every few minutes to see if it's getting hot.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I agree with you Ed. More and more I realise that most people are not even fit to be let loose as pedestrians let alone left in charge of something. They can't steer a course along a busy pavement (sidewalk) let alone keep checking on their Lipo progress.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

Well you sure have convinced me.

I guess I will just stick with glow and diesel.

Much easier, cheaper and safer and more fun I reckon.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

What's easier than chucking the model, your tx and a couple batteries in the car and heading to the field? Plug in the batts, turn everything on and fly.

No gooey mess to wipe off at the end of the day either.

(Having said that I still fly glow...)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Ive had more accidents in the 3 years I flew glo as a teenager than I have had with electrics in the last 5....

I've snapped my TX antenna in the prop, had one model leap off the sofa when I switched the tranny off, and that is about it.

NEARLY had a fire, but that was a Nicad pack where the insulation got cut through in a heavy landing, lots of smoke and a Bad Smell. but we pulled the pack in time.

On average a person every other gets killed by a glo model. No reported deaths from electrics yet.

On average a person gets killed every 5 minutes in a road accident. Did you put YOUR belt on today?

Should we ban cars?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that is called having a healthy respect, Mark. I'm leary around them too.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

We all know that there are working adults that are not functionally literate. I'll wager that the actual number of folks in this category is staggering. Yes, they can read most of the words, but they can't put the words together in such a way that will warn them of the consequences.

I'm not suggesting that we all be deprived of these types of cells because of even 25% of populations inability to comprehend what they have read (percentage drawn from my experience - no empirical data).

What I am suggesting is that the manufacturers provide a satisfactory charging circuit (safe), or switch to a safer battery technology to be sold in RTF models in the toy class.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

Now that electrics are approaching the speeds of glow powered models, you can bet that it won't be long until the disparity in the death rate between the two types of power systems will disappear. In fact, with the popularity of electrics ever ascending, it may very well surpass the IC death rate in the near future.

I don't believe in the outright banning of most things. I do think that mandating safer charging systems or alternative battery technologies for RTF models until the Li-Po problem is solved is not unreasonable.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

Read the posts that I have made today. You will discover that I am not the Mad Banner that you take me for. But who could blame you from my first post? No one.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

newsgroups.bellsouth.net"

Reply to
CRaSH

"CRaSH" wrote in news:kATTf.16643$Tf3.16589@dukeread09:

Reply to
Mark Miller

That would be my boss and his kids. eheheh

I thoroughly agree about the batteries. I also think that the people that sell these RTF models provide some sort of "warning" to purchasers regarding the "volatility" of the new battery technologies.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to